Translate

Saturday, September 22, 2012

Today's story #TheSemicolonIsTheLoneliestPunctuationMark

“15 minutes could save you 15% or more on car insurance.”
The Dukes of Hazzard*


       It's been a while since I mentioned them, but I have incredibly vivid dreams on a nightly basis and remember them pretty well to boot. Last night I had what I call a “camera” dream. It's a dream where I don't really exist and only float around as a non-existent person...like a camera in a movie. Though sometimes I turn back and forth into this during dreams where I do exist.
      Anyway last night I dreamed about the villains and heroes of videos games coming against each other all in one crossover. It was in fairly realistic CGI with the rendering of softness based on character. Yeah, I dreamed in CGI, weird huh? Though not for me. I've had plenty of dreams where everything was in CGI and looked like I walked into Pixar or whatever.
      But really I've had lots of altered reality dreams. I've had cartoon dreams, things where things were not like the smooth CGI of today, but like the terrible polygons of old video games. There have been cartoon ones. I've had black and white dreams(y'know like old movies). I've been in comics, like in one. It was a camera dream except I was the character on the page. I could control my movement but the panels would change...that one was really odd. Any of the 2D dreams I have are weird. Though one of my strangest didn't have any dimensions at all. I had it a long time ago. The none dimensional just had colors in this non-defined space and I couldn't determine if the space had or did not have depth. It was just there. And without being pure blackness I couldn't take it in as nothingness...yeah, I no idea what to call it
    Now onto to what annoyed me. I was having the awesome dream about the video game heroes and villains fighting and right in one of the most dynamic moments my alarm wakes me up. I hate that thing, it interrupts all the good ones. But I do have to take morning medication...

Anyway onto the flash fiction!


The Semicolon is the Loneliest Punctuation Mark



; ----> Exclamation Point, do you know why nobody likes me?
! -----> I like you...you're my best friend.
; -----> I meant everybody else. Not just the other punctuation marks but the humans too.
! -----> Well, maybe they're just judging you on your looks. Maybe you look intimidating because you're both a period and a comma at the same time.
; -----> Really? You think it's intimidating? Question Mark said I look like a freak and should stay away from period and comma just not to scare them.
! -----> Don't listen to Question Mark...you know he's a jerk. You'd get along with plenty of people.
+ ----> Hey Exclamation Point, how's it going?
! ----> Hey Plus Sign. What brings a mathematical symbol to our side of town.
+ ---> Just hangin'...um...what's that?
; ----> Hi! My name is semicolon!
+ ---> Never heard of ya.
; ----> I'm a punctuation mark just like Exclamation Point. Wanna hang out.
+ ---> Nah, I'll pass...it's just. You're one thing on top of another. And in math land...well one thing on top of the other is exponential and things always get complicated when that happens...so I'll pass. I don't wanna be rude...but I gotta go.
; ----> I told you nobody likes me Exclamation Point.
: ----> Hey little bro.
; ----> Hey, colon.
: ----> How's it going?
; ----> Fine. Just hanging out with Exclamation Point.
: ----> Hah, that loser? I told you, you can totally hang out with my crew.
; -----> Hey, Exclamation Point is my best friend! And I don't like any of your friends. They're all hotheaded, idiots. All Start Quote can do is repeat someone else's opinion. He can't come up with any original ideas. Besides who to freeload off of. And you keep making me pay back everything you owe to End Quote!
: -----> Why you...!
! -----> Stop your arguing! Ampersand is coming over here!
; -----> Wait Ampersand?
: The hottest, curviest punctuation symbol of them all?
& ----> So guys, what are you talking about?
: ----> Manly things.
; ----> Astrophysics.
! ----> Puppies.
& ----> Right...
: ----> I must say you are looking beautiful today Ampersand.
& ----> That's what all the men say. Besides Ellipses. He never says anything. To anyone. Ever.
; -----> We look the same everyday. Isn't saying she looks beautiful today kinda stupid? It's kinda like saying the sky is blue today.
! -----> Haha, Semicolon is right. We always do look the same.
& ----> So you're the ever-elusive, legendary Semicolon?
: ----> Legendary? My brother is no legend.
& ----> Well you see him so little people hardly know he exists. I think I've ever hardly been in the same sentence with him or anyone else for that matter. And you all know how easy it is to forget a single sentence. I think the humans have a phobia of him. Maybe he's too cool for 'em? Hehe.
: ----> He's a freak! Look at the comma tail!
& ----> I think the comma tail is cute.
; -----> What?
! ----> Oh, Ampersand, he was too nervous to say it but Semicolon was planning to ask you out on a date.
& ----> I'd love to. He is very mysterious and unused. So few humans use him. Makes him feel forbidden y'know?
: ----> I hate you Exclamation Point.
! ----> I'm just helping out a friend; I got you back for calling me a loser too.



-----


This work is copyright Langdon Kennedy you may share this(email it, print it, post it on your own website, broadcast it etc.) work unaltered as long as you credit me as the author and share a link to this blog with it and it is not for profit. If you have any questions and/or are unclear of these conditions email me at llkenne1@asu.edu


No comments:

Post a Comment