Translate

Sunday, August 19, 2012

Today's #Scifi #fantasy short story #TheSoulBarrier

“PWNED!”
Rocky*



       Today I saw the Dark Knight Rises with Bro and Father. I liked it. I was a very good movie. Here's a gist of it: It's about a Dark Knight “rising” the Dark Knight being Azzar. He's “rising” from his old guild of Dark Knights to become a Paladin to fight the forces of good. The people naturally don't trust him being a Dark Knight and won't give him a chance. However someone does give him a chance, a Watermelon Fairy named Sarah(The heroine). Sarah vows to help the Dark Knight become Paladin and stop his evil ways of rampantly murdering people and performing his other terrible acts like singing terrible rap songs. (I forgot to mention this is a musical) So she also has to teach him how to rap like a Paladin, with kickin good beats, and without the horrible puns he used originally used. (Our Dark Knight protagonist would badly rap while he murdered making things even worse) They are joined by comedic relief Mr. Bonjango. He's a goodhearted man except for his greed. He wants to use the Dark Knight's change as a publicity tool for his business. He cracks wonderful jokes and the audience can hear his thoughts on him constantly contemplating on how he can make money on whatever is currently happening. There are two villains in this movie, first is the leader of the Dark Knight guild that the hero came from. Next is the second-in-command of the Paladins. Both of them think their respective groups would be shamed if the hero changed sides. They both set out temptations to try to keep the hero on the side of darkness. Eventually they find out about each other and begin working together. When the hero gets close to completely turning they decide to just kill him. This leads to the final fight scene. The hero starts to lose but his friends help him along with the people who originally thought he couldn't turn to the side of good. The villains attack made the people realize he had turned to the side of good. Once the villains were defeated I was expecting them to be sent to prison for their crime. But instead they were executed publicly by hanging. Huh.
       Alright despite my charade, yeah, Dark Knight Rises was nothing like that, still liked the real one though, gotta love Batman huh? Though he isn't as pun-tastic as he was back in the olden days. But now there are much more explosions so it's a decent trade off.
      Now onto the flash fiction!



The Soul Barrier


       “So this is the Soul Barrier?” My wife said to me. She sat on the balcony of our house looking out to the magical barrier on the horizon. Our balcony was huge. We were too rich for our own good. Marble statues sat on the edges of the balcony for generations and the garden below
       “Yes.” I told her. “This is it. It has shrunk though and needs to be refueled.”
        My wife stood there perplexed. “Sometimes I can't believe it's that glowing blue shield keeping the demons back. And those wizards have to work night and day to keep it up.” She then jumped. “I saw a demon attack the shield just now! They know when it's shrinking don't they? But it is going to be refueled right and will grow right? The family in the mansion will be safe? Our kids, their uncles and grandparents.”
       I then held her close. “Yes they will be safe...very, very, very safe. The barrier will stay up.” I cried a little.
        She then turned to me concerned. “What's wrong? There's something wrong. Tell me.”
        I held her close. “I'm sorry...but I came up here to tell you myself. I didn't want you to learn it from the officers when they come to take you away. And promise me you won't resist them it will only make it harder. Just comfort yourself with the fact that you'll be helping keep your children safe.”
       My wife's eyes then filled with fear. “You don't mean...”
        I shook my head, “Yes, you've been picked as one of the souls to refuel the Soul Barrier. I'll watch the kids. Don't worry. Don't ever worry. They will be here in the morning. That's what the letter said. I put off telling you when I got it a month ago. I didn't want you to be depressed so I hid it. I hope I did the right thing.”
       She smile while crying herself. “You did the right thing, it kept me happier for longer, and we still have one last day together. So let's make the most of it. And I won't worry. I know you will watch over the children for me.”

No comments:

Post a Comment