Translate

Monday, August 20, 2012

Today's #Scifi #fantasy short story #TheReaperNoob

         “The Matrix is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it when you look out your window or when you turn on your television. You can feel it when you go to work... when you go to church... when you pay your taxes. It is the world that has been pulled over your eyes to blind you from the truth.”
Ms. Valerie Frizzle, The Magic Schoolbus*


        Today's going to be a fun post. Today I'm going to launch my link page for everyone. This is full of links for writers I've found and have been showed by family and friends plus fellow writers etc. They are both fun and useful. There are links on learning the craft, selling your work(both novels and short stories), a title scorer, a free word processor and more. Be sure to check it out. It is in the upper right corner of the blog page. But here is also a direct link: http://langdonflashfictions.blogspot.com/p/writing-links.html
        I intend to update it from time to time and I'll post about it when I do but there are already tons of links for you. Enjoy!
And of course, here's today's flash fiction:




The Reaper Noob


        “Boom! Headshot Reaper! What do think of that Reaper? Looks like I'm living for another few years!” The child taunted me. I hate modern mortal kids and their video games.
       “Fine! Go back to the mortal world.” I threw the controller into the TV. It would dematerialize anyway soon. After all both me and the annoying child were suspended in limbo with the TV, console, controllers and game disc.
       He stuck his tongue out as he faded away. At least he would lose all memory of the experience. I looked around me as I reappeared in my humble cubicle. My boss walked up to me. He had the skeleton body as me as wore the same uniform as me, a massive gray cloak.
       He sighed. “You lost to another kid didn't you?”
       I grumbled, “You know back in the day humans would challenge us to things like chess or a race for their soul, not these stupid video games. Even the adults do it too. It's like they know were not good at them.”
       My boss laughed. “You're not good at them. If you practice you could actually beat the mortals right? The rest of us are catching up just fine. We reapers live in a time dilation to give us even more time to practice games to master them beyond mortals. I mean the funny part is you're a Grim Reaper playing the mortals in games about killing people and you're losing badly. Did you manage to even kill the humans once? Or are you waiting for them to challenge you to a chess video game?”
      Every other reaper in the office laughed. They're good coworkers but before the modern mortal children got their hands on their new games I was the reaper with the best success rate in my entire division. The irony of it all.
      “I will prove you all wrong,” I told them all.I wasn't going to keep having my record damaged.
       I used the time extension in our reaper world to it's maximum potential and practiced every single game those annoying mortals had ever released. I didn't come out for reaper years. I mastered every single video game. And I was going to challenge a child. And I mastered all sports all sports and board games like monopoly and such so whatever a child could master. The child couldn't possibly stop me.
       “I won't be stopped now,” I said as I teleported to the mortal world as my coworkers clapped. Reapers practicing to such an extent was always applauded.
        I appeared in limbo with a child. I asked the Selector to get me a child who played loved video games, but didn't play them often. I wasn't going to fail. No matter how skilled I had become I wasn't dumb enough to become arrogant. I explained the situation to the ten year old the situation.
      “Okay,” he said, “I want to play MBM with you.” He smiled. “It's the game I'm best at.”
     Shocked I responded, “I've never heard of that video game, don't you love video games, don't you want to pick a video game?”
      “I love video games... but I only play them with my three friends and I'm not very good at them. I wouldn't play for my life for them. I want to play MBM.” The child looked very serious.
       I then said to him, “We can't play something you made up! It has to be a commonly accepted game!”
       “It is a commonly accepted game.” He nodded.
       “Is it some kind of sport?” I asked him, “I've never heard of it.”
      “No it's a card game.” He told me.
     “Like poker?” I looked at the child baffled. “A child like you shouldn't be gambling!”
     He laughed. “No MBM isn't gambling. It's full name is Magical Battling Monsters. In the game you're a wizard who summons magical monsters to fight each other. Your monsters are the cards and you play them from your hand. You can give your monsters clothes to increase their power like dresses and pants or feed them food to transform them into other monsters from your transform deck. For example I put The Carrot Orange Pants on my Sparkling Penguin Dragon then fed him then fed him the Sexy Curry to transformed him into the Ultimately Sexy Carrot Curry Penguin of the Dragon Bloodline. He has 60 Muscle 40 Brain 20 Quickness and it's got an impressive 70 Omph stat. I've won a lot of games with that card.”
      “What?” I asked him.
     “Well geez...it's only the most popular game now. At least with kids now. Heck it's been awhile since even some of my best friend ex-video game addicts have played video games since that came out. If you want to take any kid's soul you're gonna need to practice. But you're going to have to play me now right? I want to see my Mom and we need to play and looking at you Bone-Butt it's not going to be hard to school-you.”
      I hate modern mortal kids and their card games.





Author Comment: And somewhere, someplace someone is brainstorming another game for kids. Yay! By the way, do you know how the stupidest man in the world lost his soul to a reaper? For the game for his soul he challenged the reaper to a staring contest.

No comments:

Post a Comment