Translate

Sunday, December 15, 2013

Today's #flashfiction #TheImmortalAnt

“Help! I think I'm stuck!”
Harry Houdini* #quote


         Today I went to my card game thing. Pretty much think I got my deck prepared for the tournament coming up on the 29th. My deck is quite silly with my favorite silly pokemon Probopass in it. It'll be fun to use against all the established strategies and decks that people have been making and winning with. If I won it'd be like someone showing up at the horse races with a donkey and still winning because he somehow made his donkey better than all the horses. Ah, what fun. And if I don't have any seizures like I didn't have any at the last one that'll be even better eh? Anyway onto the flash fiction!

The Immortal Ant

         One day, thousands of years ago, a little ant stumbled upon a tear of a fairy while moving food for the queen of her colony. The ant got caught in the tear, but instead of drowning, she was filled with its magic and became independent of the colony and and grew much more intelligent.
She also acquired powers beyond what even humans had.
        A lizard looked at her hungrily and shot its tounge out her. Caught in its jaw she didn't bother struggling. The lizard simply burst into a flash of flame and she emerged from the ash. Predators that attempted to harm her met this fate.
       When she first obtained her powers man possessed little technology. But now she walked the city. Often climbing the rooftops, awnings or plants between buildings to explore. Occupy herself. A long time ago she walked the great pyramids, before they were the torn apart relics they are now. She valued new sights, so when the city changed it was important.
      She saw an apartment she passed by occasionally had a new tenant. An old man replaced by a young man. College student it seemed. Among the many belongings that he brought in and unboxed, he had college books, video games, and lab equipment. No chemicals. But measuring tools of sorts. From how much was unpacked the ant figured that the student must have been living there for at least a week.
The ant explored the apartment, and after a few hours the student went to one of the boxes labeled, “Fragile Glass, Do Not Open”. Oddly enough the box had a few holes in it at the top. He pulled out a jar with holes in its lid, and even stranger, a fairy.
      “Now, now little fairy. I'm not going to hurt you. I just need your tears. I'll show you some sad videos or something. Then I can gather your tears. I won't hurt you unless I need to. Your tears can do marvelous things. I need to figure out how magic works with humans. Even using myself as a test subject. I'm a good guy.”
      The fairy sat silent in the jar.
The tenant of the apartment grew angry, “I know you understand English! I went through a lot of trouble to get you. And if I'm going to introduce magic to the world I'm going to prove it's safe so that I'm not a victim of a witch hunt.”
      “Calm down.” The ant communicated to him psychically, one of the powers the fairy tear granted her many years ago.
      “Who was that? Where are you? Was that the fairy?”
      “My name is...well I've had many names that humans have given me over the years as I've spoken with them. I'm an ant in the apartment. You can call me Deborah. A king gave me the name. A fairy tear gave me the power to communicate with you like this, among other things, like immortality.”
The young man replied, “Fine well, I'm Greg. And after the things I saw while working to get this fairy...I believe you. I've seen crazier. Wherever you are.”
       “Don't bother trying to squish me, or getting the bug spray. Nothing will work.”
        “Then what do you want?”
        “Let the fairy go.”
       “You feel some sort of pity for it?”
        Deborah thought to herself for a moment of why she insisted on letting the fairy go. “No, a single life of a fairy, or whatever you put her through for her tears wouldn't be enough for an immortal like me to care.” She remembered many things from her life. “You don't want humans like me running around. With powers like mine. I turn things to ash, invade people's minds like I am right now...and so much more. Do not expose the whole world to this boy.”
       “No, you're wrong, I'll test her tears myself.” Greg said.
       “I won't deal with your ignorance.” The ant turned the jar holding the fairy to ash along with Greg. The fairy fled. Another case of spontaneous combustion. As usual, that is how Deborah's attacks are reported by the human populace ignorant of her existence.

No comments:

Post a Comment