Translate

Saturday, January 14, 2012

Her Destination


       Hey everyone, its wonderful to have you read my work. Be sure to sign up using your email and comment on my works when you can, I need the input to improve. Each day has a different story, so be sure to read yesterday's entry, and any ones you miss in the future. I put all I can into my stories so I know you'll enjoy them. I slept in and feel nice today, so I don't think I'll be having many seizures today. (For those who don't know I have epilepsy, yesterday's post explains the kind I have in detail.)

I really like today's flash fiction and I hope you will too.

Her Destination


       A young girl with a Victorian England dress walked through the train on her delicate feet. The dress's light gray silk looked out of place on the bright red carpet of the floor. The trimming of her double skirt dress consisted of folds of gray satin with short tassels. She pulled her normally long brown hair into a tight bundle on her head. She held together with a series of carefully placed pins.
        She saw a man in a tattered leather shirt and wool trousers with a wide, white cowboy hat in a brown booth. He had nasty teeth in his nice smile. He spread his arms lazily on the side of the booth he sat in. His thick, black beard gave him an arrogant look. The girl sat on the opposite side of the booth. She didn't know the man, but she needed company inside the unfamiliar train.
        “When you from?” the man asked with a grin.
        “Pardon me?” she responded.
        “Let me say it this way, when were you born?” his tone grew more serious.
        “Eighteen fifty one sir.” she found his question a little odd.
        “Me, I was born in eighteen-oh-two, shot dead in eighteen thirty-five.” the girl looked around the car at the other passengers. There was a man with robotic parts all over his skin with a cybernetic eye. The man that sat next to him wore thick samurai armor. Two booths behind those two a man in a black suit and top hat looked gloomily at the floor. “So what put you on the train? I hope it wasn't anything nasty.”
        “What do you mean?” she asked.
        “What's the last thing you remember before the train?”
        “I remember laying on my bed. I was very sick.” she mumbled. After another few seconds a bolt of realization hit her and she began to sweat a little. “Sir, where are we headed?” A warm gust of wind filled the car when a woman in thick, red robes entered the cart. She had shining, white wings coming out of her back. The lady in robes walked up to the cybernetic man. The train stopped when she began to speak.
        “We have reached your destination, year nineteen-twenty. Come with me.” The man didn't move at first, but when the woman held out her hand to him, he grabbed it with relaxed muscles. He walked with the woman, a neutral expression on his face. A few minutes afterward the train began moving again.
        “Lass, the question isn't where we're headed, but when we're headed.” the man went silent. She could tell that the cowboy didn't want to answer any more questions because that would mean he would be admitting his answers were true. The girl looked out the window to see billions of trains inside a field of stars. The trains went in all directions, many upside down. Then she wondered if she was the one upside down. She couldn't see a horizon among the stars, the only up she knew was hers. After an hour of the cowboy remaining silent the train stopped again and the woman in white robes entered the car again. She walked up to the cowboy this time.
        “We have reached your destination, year ninteen fifty-six. Come with me.” she held out her hand and the cowboy's eyes lost their expression. He stood up, grabbed her hand and the woman led him out of the car. Without anyone the girl grew more nervous. She lied to herself and thought it must all be a dream. The train reached another stop. The lady in robes walked up to her this time. “We have reached your destination, year twenty-twelve.” the woman held out her hand and all the willpower in the girl vanished. She stood up and grabbed the lady's hand. As the lady led her out of the car she forgot what emotions were, but felt them again when she left the train.

2 comments:

  1. I like how you leave the ending open to the reader's own interpretation, Langdon. Again, you amaze me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so glad you are doing this! I believe you are a very talented writer and have a lot to share with the world.

    ReplyDelete