Translate

Thursday, January 26, 2012

The Witch's Trades

Wow, I had a bit of writer's block today. Sure I came up with story ideas, but nothing I felt confident in at first. It took me awhile to write today's story, which is why my post is so late.


The Witch's Trades
 
       A tall, lean witch stood at her store's counter with a friendly smile on her face. Her youthful face contrasted her old, worn hat and robes. Their color matched that of a fading shadow. A short, weak man faced her with a potion in his hand.
        “Go ahead, drink it. It's yours now.” the witch smiled as she spoke. The man drank the potion and grew tall. His body became muscular and filled with energy. “How do you like your strength?” the witch asked.
        “I love it. I feel so alive.” the man said.
        “Don't forget your payment.” the witch said. She held out an empty bottle and a strong light came from the man's heart. The light went into the bottle and became a thick, blue liquid. “Your great intelligence for incredible strength. Good choice young man.” her voice then became rigid and angry, “Now get out of my store.” The man left the store, he gained great happiness, but he could feel the happiness slowly being tainted by regret.
        A young woman then entered the store. She walked like a dove flew and she headed straight to the witch. She didn't bother looking at the potions laid out on the shelves all around the store.
        “What can I help you with?” the witch said as she began to smile. “A girl like you could want many things.” The witch then picked up a few potions from behind the counter. “Do you want courage? Beauty?” the witch then held up the potion she created from the man. “Intelligence?”
        “I want to be filled with darkness.” the girl said while looking straight into the witch's eyes.
        “What?” the witch responded. In the hundreds of years she ran her shop she never got a request like that.
        “I'm too kind. I want to be filled with darkness, evil, rage, whatever it takes to hurt him like he hurt me.”
“       Ah, yes. Men can be so cruel can't they?” the witch then went to the back room of the store and emerged with a potion full of a dark pink liquid. “Pure evil. And it can be yours. But for what price?”
        “I will give you every bit of goodness from my heart.” the woman told the witch.
        “Sounds like we have a deal.” the witch responded. Normally the price the customer suggested would be too low, but this was a bargain for the witch. She had to accept the woman's offer. She gave the woman the potion. The woman drank it and her eyes became sunken and dreary. She turned around without a single word and headed out of the store. “Have a nice day!” the witch said with a smile.

---

I hope you liked today's story. I posted this around 9:40 my time, so good night and have sweet dreams!











2 comments:

  1. Again, an amazing, thought-provoking story. I particularly love this visual: She walked like a dove flew.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the comment. I liked the "walked like a dove flew" too. It was one of my favorite parts of this story.

    ReplyDelete