Translate

Sunday, August 3, 2014

Today's #flashfiction #TheSoulBarrier

“Come with me if you want to live.”
Dr. Frankenstein* #quote

When CJ and I went to that Pokemon event where you buy cards we got some pretty good ones and traded for some good ones too. (Plus it was fun playing games there too.) There were a whopping 85 players crammed in that comic book shop where they had the event. As usual it was fun seeing the cross-generational Pokemon thing with parents spending time with their kids with it. I remember when I was a but a young one and it was a single generation thing. Some parents also sneakily use it to teach kids math and reading. (Pokemon cards do have a decently high reading level to some of them. I put one of the more complicated cards into a reading level calculator for teachers and it hit 8th grade.) When there are hundreds of cards the kids play with, they tend to pick up a lot of words. (And practice reading quickly as they have to read cards they get or run across in order to play as everything a card does is written on it).
Anyway onto the flash fiction!

The Soul Barrier


         “So this is the Soul Barrier?” My wife said to me. She sat on the balcony of our house looking out to the magical barrier on the horizon. Our balcony was huge. We were too rich for our own good. Marble statues sat on the edges of the balcony for generations and the garden below
          “Yes.” I told her. “This is it. It has shrunk backward and needs to be refueled.”
           My wife stood there perplexed. “Sometimes I can't believe it's that glowing blue shield keeping the demons back. And those wizards have to work night and day to keep it up.” She then jumped. “I saw them attack the shield! They know when it's shrinking don't they? But it is going to be refueled right and will grow right? The family in the mansion will be safe? Our kids, their uncles and grandparents.”
          I then held her close. “Yes they will be safe...very, very, very safe. The barrier will stay up.” I cried a little.
         She turned to me concerned. “What's wrong? There's something wrong. Tell me.”
         I responded weakly, “I'm sorry...but I had to come up here to tell you myself. I didn't want you to learn it from the officers when they come to take you away. And promise me you won't resist them. It will only make it harder. Just comfort yourself with the fact that you'll be helping keep your children safe.”
         My wife's eyes then filled with fear. “No, you can't be saying what I think you're saying!”
         I shook my head, “Yes, you've been picked as one of the souls to refuel the Soul Barrier. I'll watch the kids. Don't worry. Don't ever worry. They will be here in the morning. I didn't want you to be depressed so I hid the government's letter. I hope I did the right thing.”
         She smiled with tears she tried and failed to hide. “You did the right thing. And we still have one last day together. So let's make the most of it. And I won't worry. I know you will watch over the children for me.”


No comments:

Post a Comment