Translate

Thursday, February 16, 2012

A Hero's Trailing Thoughts

Yesterday I was mentally hit hard by the epilepsy meds I had to take, so I couldn't come up with a story in time, though now I'm recovered from that so I could make a new story. Also there's good news insofar that there's a new medication approved in the US and my doctor prescribed it to me. Now, I've had numerous meds and other treatments backfire, so I don't think I'll try this during the school semester, I'll probably wait till spring break or summer so I don't have to worry about it impairing me. (I took this one medicine that actually made the seizures worse, and made me stupid, to the point where I couldn't order food at a restaurant. But I'm off it now.)

Anyway, now for today's story!


A Hero's Trailing Thoughts

        Too impressive to be called soldiers, but too human to be called weapons the superheroes of the new age walked the Earth as gods. A brilliant scientist decided one day to defy God and invented a substance that would alter someone's body and turn them into a super being. He made evolution obsolete, though the substance would only affect certain people based on their genetic code. Though not based on eye color, skin color or anything resembling a race, it affected a little pile of junk DNA on the far side of the human genome that no scientist gave a second glance to before the substance's invention.
        An aged superhero stood on the balcony of a massive skyscraper's 50th floor. Throughout his youth he psychically scouted out crime from that balcony. The substance gave different gifts to different people, but none of the gifts lasted forever. His visions of crime used to be clear and detailed, but now they came to his head like television static. Before he could fly over the city, but now he could only stare at the skyline from his balcony. He saw a large mountain in the distance. He remembered his secret hideout in that mountain, he figured now it was probably just a home for rats.
        He remembered bringing crooks to their knees with a thought. He remembered reading Dr. Demolish's mind to figure out where the villain planted the bombs. He remembered creating a psychic barrier to protect the city from a tornado created by a weather machine.
        He held his tattered cape in his hands, the only part of his costume left. Its light blue cloth still had his emblem in it. Though now the emblem was just a barely recognizable “T”. His mind wandered and he thought of his sidekick, who joined a superhero team long ago. He also thought of his relationship with an anti-hero, but she refused to play by anyone's rules so he couldn't stay with her.
       He then thought of the normal people he now passed by everyday. Now that his powers wore away he was among them, but he didn't have any of their experiences. Heroes were taken out of schools, relationships and jobs to serve justice and stop those who would abuse the power of the substance. He thought of all the lives he saved, but also thought of the fact he lost most of his.
      He threw his cape off the balcony and went back inside to watch TV.

2 comments:

  1. I love how you set up your world in one short para, then revealed your character's entire story in a few more paragraphs. My only suggestion would be that you made the transition between the two a bit more smoother. I felt such a great empathy for your hero in a short time. Well done, as always.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I really try to work with my flash fiction format the best I can. I'll try to make the transition smoother then.

      Delete