Translate

Sunday, November 3, 2013

Today's #flashfiction #TheOldKnightAndHisArmor

“I can see my house from here!”
Icarus* #quote

       Going to CJ's birthday party today, many things may or may not happen, so may or may not have to do with the fate of the entire universe. I'll find out when I get there. Biggest concern is if they got that interdimensional portal out of their toilet with the plunger. Anyway onto the flash fiction!

The Old Knight And His Armor

       “I barely lived through that,” the old knight said to his armor. “One mistake and I would have died.” The knight was an old, old man for his occupation. He was at sixty with wrinkles for a seventy year old man. The wrinkles must have come from the stress of fighting dragons, demons and evil wizards that plagued that land.
The armor rattled as it laughed and spoke. “You made mistakes geezer. I made up for it. Moving you along and making you nigh invincible to boot. The claw scratches hit us. Lucky we dodged the fire man because that can actually get through. At least wizards use a lot of magic I can deflect. Can't believe you dropped Excalibur. Drop a legendary sword from another world.”
         “You're right. I made too many errors. I'm not cut out for this. But the land needs me.”
          The armor rattled and laughed again as it sparkled with an enchanted glow it let out when it felt strong emotion. “Yeah, guess the adventuring days and saving days are over. Kinda makes me sad. But we could go on your and make money off your fame!” The armor did enjoy doing good more than anything else. It's cop out was a way to avoid having his long time friend die wearing him.
           The old man became depressed. He didn't care about his fame as a savior in the lands. The only reason he ever used it was to help him save more people by allowing him to get into places a normal person couldn't or to get him meals as he traveled and to continued to save. But without saving people he felt like he didn't have much purpose. He then came up with an idea.
           “I know! I can get an apprentice. You're a suit of armor, you can't die so we can make a school of heroes trained in using you to save the land!”
The armor rattled nervously.
           “What's wrong?” the knight asked.
           “I just remembered how much of an idiot you were when you first used me. Remember the hours of you accidentally punching yourself in the face with my gauntlet?”
          “Yes, but this will work out better.”
          “No it won't.”
          And so the knight took on his students, and during the learning curve of mastering the armor they managed to accidentally punch themselves in the face and make many other mistakes. But eventually new heroes of the land were born and the school of heroes of the land lasted as long as the armor did even as more armor was created. That students also punched themselves in the face with.

No comments:

Post a Comment