Translate

Saturday, November 30, 2013

Today's #flashfiction #TheIgnorantFugitive

“May the force be with you.”
Sir Issac Newton* #quote


         I placed 16th out of around 35 people today at the tournament I went to. I was paired against decks my deck wasn't good against. (In trading card games you collect cards then createdecks to play against other people, that part is the creative, fun part). That is, in a way, my fault. My deck is weak against too many things now so I can't count on being conveniently matched up against people that my strategies easily beat. So I'm going to make a better deck to fix this problem. Wish me luck! Anyway onto the flash fiction!

The Ignorant Fugitive

        “Tom Franklin, you're under arrest,” An officer held a laser gun to the back of the head of the most wanted fugitive in the galaxy. “We finally got a DNA verification at a restaurant you ate at minutes ago. Proof that you are you. All that body changing surgery will no longer do you any good.”
         The fugitive wore simple, inconspicuous street clothes, and he looked as average as possible, with average looking brown hair and black eyes. Neither ugly or attractive and not worth a second glance. He'd be the extra in a crowd, the background man in a movie, the stagehand you'd never notice. The entire intent of the surgery he underwent of course.
        “So, Tom Franklin is my name? That is something I wondered all these years.” He laughed, his hands trembling with fear.
        “What are you talking about?” The officer kept the gun to the fugitives head. He knew backup was coming.
         Tom turned around to face the officer, the laser gun right between his eyes. “One day I woke up with my memory wiped. The memory doctors told me I ordered it myself...apparently some medical practitioners will do anything if paid enough money. I remembered near nothing of my past life. But I knew I was a fugitive, I needed to keep running, and I knew the location of a bank account with a great deal of money for me to live on and new identity documents.”
        “That's the most ludicrous story I've ever heard,” the officer replied. “Who would use memory technology like that on themselves? Memory erasing is only used for therapy on trauma!”
        “I wondered the answer to that question myself. Maybe it had to do with what kind of person I was. Did I not want myself to know what kind of person I used to be? And to be that person anymore?What kind of person was Tom Franklin?”
        The officer went silent. The words couldn't come to him. Tom Franklin did things that made people question what evils a person could do with their own two hands. The first crime he became famous for was the strangulation of a child. Really the only reason that the officer didn't shoot him on sight was because he wanted the court to sentence him to the now legal torture sentencing for enemies of the state. And every country considered him an enemy of the state because of the attacks on the populace he orchestrated. His death count goes over the thousands.
         The backup arrived with the armored prison transport for Tom Franklin. They didn't want to lose him. The officer never answered Tom Franklin's question about what kind of man he was. That would be brought up in court. One of the officer's own children was a victim of the fugitive.
        A deep, dark feeling of depression welled into the officer's body. Along with a feeling of anger. If the fugitive's story of having his memory wiped was true, then the wrong man faced trial. The real Tom Franklin should have been one to suffer, remembering all his crimes as the state maliciously tortured him as an example to monsters like him. But this man will have to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment