Translate

Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Today's #flashfiction #TheProblemWithUsedWands

“I'm just a party person.”
Robinson Caruso* #quote


         Today I hooked my 3DS up to the Internet. I traded Pokemon through “Wonder Trade” where you randomly get paired up with someone in the world. Pretty much you can put up anything and get anything in return since you really have no idea what someone is putting up. There are people putting up terrible pokemon to easily get stuff. I got some of theirs. I put up whatever “cool spare” things I have. I got some neat stuff through wonder trade so I guess some sort of karma for putting up my extra nice things paid off. I am now training a pokemon that I don't know the name of because it's in Japanese. (You can name Pokemon in the game, like you could name a Pikachu you get Sparky). I'm going to ask my friend Jessica, a Japanese major, what it means. Anyway onto the flash fiction!

The Problem With Used Wands

         The Star Breaker 3000. A high class wand for high class wizards. For good, evil and neutral wizards alike it could perform almost any magical function. What else could be expected of a gemstone wand where all the magical components are sealed and amplified within crystal? Demon blood gives it one hundred curses to the soul and pixie dust lets amplifies any good magic if you're in the mood for that too. Interwoven dragon scales in the interior of the crystals of many different dragon breeds and colors increases the strengths of all the magic. It was truly an elite wand.
        Which was why I had to buy it used.
        Buying used wands is very, very risky. Who knows what crazed magic could be left on it. I could be blown to bits as soon as I use it. But I got into the a wizarding college of the highest caliber. And I lied on the application. I told them I had the supplies to be a student, that is a powerful enough wand. I managed to pass all the normal tests like so few students had so I grabbed the opportunity, now or never, couldn't let anyone grab the chance by not taking it in time. It was a scholarship and everything. So I had to buy the wand used, especially since it was the only one I could possibly get before the semester began.
It's obvious how risky a used wand can be when they sell for 1/100,000 of their original price. I still had to borrow money from several people to afford something as fancy as The Star Breaker.
I used it for the first time, a week before semester start, expecting something like it to explode. After all it must have seen much use and have much magic crammed into it. But nothing happened. If the wand wasn't abandoned from overuse then why was it abandoned? The spell I cast was a levitate spell and it worked, a chair in my room floating gently.
          “Is that all you can cast? How pathetic. Try the wand out with something better,” a voice sounded from inside my head.
I gulped. “Oh, no....the wand is haunted isn't it?” Being haunted is one of the main reasons magical items are sold used.
             “Yeah, I live here. What of it? This is one of the first ten Star Breaker 3000's before they went mass production. It's on the mum at the corporation but I died from an accident with the first attempted model for consumer use. Least I helped them find the error.” The ghost laughed. “They fixed it though. I'm glad my beautiful creation is used by so many. I'm the lead designer on them.”
The ghost didn't seem too bad. I don't see why anyone would ditch such a valuable wand because of him.
            “You remind me of the last guy who used the wand. You're not as good. We gotta fix that. Which reminds me of when I started learning how to make wands...” The ghost began to ramble and tell his life story and ramble about things besides his life story. After an hour of one-sided conversation I began to understand why the owner sold the wand.

No comments:

Post a Comment