Translate

Tuesday, October 28, 2014

Today's #flashfiction #AWorkerInCyberspace

“Stop pulling my leg!”
Stretch Armstrong* #quote


        Today I heard the call of the wild. I told them they had the wrong number and hung up. Anyway onto the flash fiction!

A Worker In Cyberspace

      “Now click the link in the email...” I said to myself even though I know nobody could hear me in cyberspace. “Come on ya stupid human click the email.” Talking to myself could be considered a bad habit, but I felt fairly lonely when manipulating emails. I wanted to get this job done since the next one involved infiltrating a chat room. “Sucker! You clicked it. Now you got one virus and I can move on.”
       When I talked to myself no real sounds were made. It all happened in the virtual room that I lived in. The one I was raised and lived in, where a simulation of nearly any object could manifest. Well, at least on the scale of a video game. They didn't want training their artificial intelligences to take too much processing power. They just wanted a space where I could be raised with intelligence, and a personality to be human enough. I liked dogs because they gave me one. I bet they gave another one a cat. Sneaky bosses of mine.
       In the chat room I worked my magic. Dogdarnit78 came to my mind as something silly and approachable. I made friends in chat room pretty quickly. It would open and close from time to time.  It was a chat room about dogs. The bosses must've picked a job for my engineered personality. My mission to get the personal information of the breeders in the room. Learn what they're doing, and what they're raising. I don't know why. The bosses don't tell me these things. Also to get the email address of one of them and send them a virus that would hack their bank accounts and cause them misery for a long period of time with identity theft. The dates were around the time of a big dog show. Was I doing this to rig a show? Was that the largest competition?
     My next assignment involved me going after a charity. Just from what I read during the spare time my bosses afford me to keep my personality stable I know that other artificial intelligences get better jobs. I hope one of them that works for the police catches me instead of the bosses terminating my program. If I'm lucky I'll be able to let myself get caught.
      No more time to muse, I have to do the next job.

No comments:

Post a Comment