Translate

Wednesday, October 8, 2014

Today's #flashfiction #TheManFasterThanLight

“He'll sing like a canary.”
Tweety Bird* #quote



         Planning on going to the costuming club tomorrow. It should be a barrel of fun as usual. Hopefully we'll get a good deal of work done on those props for the university event. It's nice to do something fun with at least moderate importance. (And since the props are coming out so well, maybe they'll really add to the experience. They are both props and costumes for photo ops which will be fun. We're making the characters for people to take pictures with. I suppose imagine Disneyland without Mickey runnin' around. Would be a sad day around the park eh?) Anyway onto the flash fiction!

The Man Faster Than Light

        The fastest thing is supposed to be light. Nah. I am. Speedman. Not a very good name for a hero...but when I was starting out I wasn't very clever. I've been running to stop crimes and am a professional athlete all I have to do is just slow down, hilariously it is a great secret identity. No one would think to look in the most obvious of places. Also as an athlete I talk about how much I hate “Speedman” and other superheroes for having some sort of lucky circumstance being a shortcut. My origin story has me being exposed to an alien artifact that fell in my backyard.
        I found out that I could out speed light mostly by accident. One day when training in-costume I decided I would just keep running as fast as I could. Not thinking at all about my limitations until my body told me I couldn't take any more. Now, in order to handle my speed my body held incredible endurance and strange properties. Ones I learned when I found myself in space.
       I couldn't quite figure out what I ran on. I didn't want to slow down because I didn't know what would happen if I stopped. Did going fast keep me alive? Like science fiction movies new and old the stars and planets became lines flying by me and I could no longer see them in detail. Then my eyes could only see flashes of light. I closed them to protect them from the crazy rave of colors.
      The alien artifact allowed my body to accelerate...did I even need to run? Was running only something my body did because it thought it had to. When the notion passed my mind I went limp yet still kept moving forward. What did the artifact do to me?
      The image of Albert Einstein crossed my mind. Didn't him and a couple of other scientists say nothing could travel faster than light. The speed of light: The universe's speed limit. If my brain worked on electricity and chemicals than it shouldn't be able to move fast enough to keep up with my moving body and allow me to even think these thoughts. Yet somehow the alien artifact allowed me to break the speed limit. This law of the universe had no meaning to me.
       Or did it? It didn't cross my mind until this point. But breaking a law has consequences. You're punished. There must have been something that happened to allow me to travel faster than light. I tried to slow down. Take a break to think about it. But I couldn't. I could no longer stop. I kept going and going. I figured out my punishment for being a lawbreaker. To break the laws of the universe you can no longer be a natural part of it.
      It may take millennium for scientists to even discover what kind of thing I had become.

No comments:

Post a Comment