Translate

Tuesday, February 24, 2015

Today's #flashfiction A Duel Of The Pen And The Sword

“Marco! Polo! Marco! Polo!”
The Blair Witch Project* #quote

          Today I practiced playing my ocarina, a gift my parents got me for Christmas. The reason they got it for me is there's this video game where a magic ocarina is a big part of it, so the company created one you could buy. It's really fancy looking, but also it still is an actual instrument and not just decorative so I'm actually going to try to learn it. Yeah, it probably seems I'm doing a lot of random things with me talking about practicing drawing, working on writing and learn and instrument, but after being forced into medical leave from my disability I still want to make sure I never devolve into a couch potato. Anyway onto the flash fiction!

A Duel Of The Pen And The Sword

          I stood in his castle of paper. Magical symbols written in a rainbow of different ink colors covered the miles of paper that created the place. The wizards I spoke to before entering the place told me they protected the castle from the elements such as rain and other magic. A home of paper made more sense when someone considered it a home of spells. Whatever enchanted symbols the Pen Knight wrote allowed paper furniture to take form and behave like normal furniture. All with the same ability to support despite an origami form. I pushed down on one of the tables without it folding in. I saw the Pen Knight sitting on a paper throne smiling. His entire body covered in paper armor while he held a long, golden feather pen in one hand and a small ink bottle in the other.
       “Company! And who might you be?”
        I replied, “I am Sir Bern. I am the one to duel you.”
        The Pen Knight nodded. “Ah yes, when I asked your kingdom to submit to me and offer tribute like the others or face my magic they challenged me. I told them I would defend my title as a knight by dueling you. And I figured that your king knew that my magic won't work unless I am knight. Probably stalling by sending you to duel me. May keep sending knights to duel me to killed and stall until he runs out!” The Pen Knight laughed.
       I stepped towards him, my full suit of steel armor clanking loudly while I scraped my sword along the impossibly strong paper floor. “If your done musing about your own strength we could begin.”
       The Pen Knight leaped from his throne dipped his pen in his ink and quickly squished some ink into the air. “Cocky fool!” The surprise attack covered several parts of me with the liquid which began to eat away at my armor like acid. I filled with rage at this deception. This clouded my judgement. My first swing was imprecise and didn't even strike the Pen Knight and he covered my armor with more ink. I hit his paper armor with the next strike. The magic pen must have written some powerful magic on that armor. My sword merely rattled off. My next strike didn't do any better.  The Pen Knight then managed to write something on my back. I began to feel tired. I needed to figure something out. Soon the ink would work its way fully through my armor and whatever spell he wrote on me would also drain me of all energy.
       My final strike went for his ink bottle and smacked it out of his hand. It covered his paper armor in the ink. The Pen Knight screamed while the magic ink did something strange. I don't know magic well, but the large blotch of ink that ran through the Pen Knights paper armor and all the symbols already on it started to create some sort of reaction that twisted his body in ways too sickening to describe. I turned away and pieces of the man's flesh fell to my feet. My land will no longer fear the  Pen Knight and his magic, nor will any other.

No comments:

Post a Comment