Translate

Friday, February 6, 2015

Today's #flashfiction #BorrowingDadsKeys

“Ticket please.”
St. Peter* #quote

         Today I spent some time playing a video game where the game designers decided to put exceptionally strong monsters in even lower level areas so you could revisit them when your stronger and defeat them. I, however, decided to fight one early, when I certainly had no business doing so. Even though the game was one of those games like Dungeons and Dragons with all numbers you could still move around and dodge. I figured that since I used magic from long range if I spent long enough could very, very, very slowly wear down the monster I had no business fighting and get loot I had no business having.
        I kept zapping the dragon with spells while restoring my computer controlled meat-shields, I mean, “allies”. Each spell did hurt the dragon but on the meter that represented its hitpoints each shot wasn't even visible, so my cowardly long-ranged battle lasted quite awhile. Until the monster was about at one sixth of its life left, then it got a good enough hit in to defeat me. I really had no business fighting it.

Borrowing Dad's Keys

        “You grab them,” Sammy told her little brother, with only year separating them they both shared the same interest and fear of their father's Keys.
         David replied, “L-ladies first sis.” Both of them wore the deep, black robes that all wizards belonging to the discipline of Shadow Magic wore. The same kind of robes their father wore, but he was a master and rightfully could use his own Keys. David and Sammy owned no Keys because of being inexperienced children that only grasped the basics of Shadow magic.
        Sammy held her hand close to the Keys. “How about we both grab them together?” In her mind she figured this would make it easier to blame David if things went badly, especially if some sort of magical trap was put on the Keys. When David heard the suggestion he thought the same. The children's dear father didn't think to put a magical trap on the Keys since he figured being in his home stashed in the back of a kitchen cupboard would be enough of a defense from anything happening.             He, like many parents, underestimated the stupidity of their children.
        After they picked up the Keys David then asked, “So how exactly do we use these again? Dad usually just shakes them a bunch and says a few magic words and a Shadow Gate opens to some place. Do you remember how he got us to Spellland? I want to go to Spellland!”
        Sammy then said, “I think I remember! I believe it was three times...” The children shook the Keys three times and Sammy then yelled at the top of her lungs, “Ooogla, boogla, toogla!”
Right in the center of the kitchen a small sparkle of light appeared followed by the appearance of a small wall of darkness that moved like a curtain and colored like a shadow on a bleak day. Out of it jumped a squirrel.
       “Guess we got it wrong,” David said.
        Sammy shrugged, “Let's try again, I think I know what I did wrong. Ooogila, teegla, tuurgla!”
        The Shadow Gate shivered and a loud popping noise occurred. Both of the children assumed this meant it changed locations. Out popped a goblin. A green, angry, lookin' goblin with a knife.
        The children's eyes grew wide and they both immediately cast the one spell they were both mastered in. A Shadow Magic defense spell their father and teacher's grinded into their brains. They both cast Shadow Bind.
        David smiled, “Y'know at least it's true that goblin's break into people's homes. We could pretend we never took the Keys and get like, a bigger allowance for stopping him.” The bound goblin froze as the magic used his shadow against him.
       Sammy smiled back. “Well, if we goof up no place can be worse than a goblin attacking us.”
       They tried once more, deciding to add another shake and changing up the magic words again. The Shadow Gate didn't merely shiver or pop. It twisted and contorted before settling back into shape again while making thundering noises.
        David's voice went quiet as he said to his sister, “I never saw it do something like that when Dad took us somewhere.”
        Fire shot out of the Shadow Gate and a six legged, red scaled, eight-horned demon came out with his spiked tail crashing into the floor while he stretched his arms forward and his claws ready to tear flesh.
        The demon spoke while fire and ice shot from his mouth, “Who is foolish enough to open a path to Hell so that I may meet them? Does someone wish to strike a deal with me, or challenge me for the title of King of Shadows?” The demon stepped forward, crushing the goblin with his feet. “I smell two wizards in the discipline of the shadows. What is your business with me?”
        Both children lost control of their bladders before the demon finished speaking. Their terror prevented them from speaking.
         The demon looked at the children and told them, “The only way this trip wouldn't have been a waste of my time is if I devour your souls.”
         The children, both trying to survive the best they can picked at least one of the options that could save them. “Wait, we want to offer you a deal!” They both shouted.
          “Oh?” The King of Shadows decided to listen as he hadn't had children attempt to bargain with him in centuries.
           David quickly pulled the first thing that came to mind, “We want, uh, good grades by learning Shadow magic without working hard. Yeah.”
           The King of Shadows replied, “A suitably childish demand. However I require an offering for my services. However I require life force in my deals. Do you intend to sacrifice each other?”
           Sammy's fear for survival allowed her to think quicker than any fear for punishment would have made her think in other situation. “We, uh, got you a squirrel and goblin? You stepped on him though...you took our sacrifice. Doesn't that mean that you break it, you bought it?”
           The demon laughed, though as his voice shook the body the same way a choir of screams would it made the children feel less comfortable than more. “In a way I suppose that means I have accepted your deal. It is a small enough demand I won't mind it. I won't be giving you much shadow magic anyway.”
           The children heard a door close and a voice familiar to them yelled, “You are both grounded!”
           The King of Shadows then remarked, “I recognized that voice, that's James, one of the thirty Arch-Wizards. Quite the powerful master of shadow magic. Struck quite a few deals with him.” The demon became more civil as a sort of nostalgic tone washed over him.
           The children said, “Could we please finish?” They hoped that if their father didn't speak to the demon then at least they wouldn't get in as much trouble.

            The King of Shadows then deepened his voice while some sort of magical language echoed in his speech alongside his normal words. “In exchange for the life-force of the squirrel and goblin I will grant you both minor knowledge in the craft of shadow magic to be obtained in the dreams of your mind's next deep slumber.” The demon then walked back into the Shadow Gate. The children dropped the Keys and it closed. Their father would ground them for a very long time for this, but they both knew that they both were very lucky to get out of it with their lives. Not every demon cares for deals. They never touched their father's keys again and when they were old enough to get theirs they both hesitated to use them and took great care when they did.

No comments:

Post a Comment