Translate

Saturday, September 21, 2013

Today's #flashfiction #BasedOnATrueSuperheroStory

“Monkey see, monkey do.”
Fay Wray* #quote



Today I went to my cardgame thing. Lots of fun and stuff. Anyway onto the flash fiction!



Based On A True Superhero Story


        “Then I hit the villain with my ultimate technique The Fist Of Pure Burning Justice!” Captain Redstar said while flexing his right arm. The hero towered over me by a good foot at six foot nine inches. His muscles appeared to be chiseled out of rock as they strained his white spandex and his red cape curled around him. His ridiculous abs distorted the red star emblem on his chest. Well, there was one exception to his muscles appearing rough as rock. His log brown skin animated itself with the flexibility of putty as his smiles and “tough-guy” image scowls appeared and disappeared.
      “Yes, yes.” I replied jotting down notes about his personality in my notebook. “We have all the tapes from the supervillain's evil lair's surveillance cameras. You don't need to describe what happened. You need to describe what you were thinking.”
      Captain Redstar frowned, “But I thought you were telling my story.”
      I put my palm to my face and groaned. My bangs sagged. Why did some of them have to be so difficult? Every comic that I get to make with a humble hero is an easy one. The dramatic ones are the nightmares. Let me do my art. I hate these interviews. I looked back up at the hero my black hair going back into place and my blue eyes meeting his black. “You're heroic thoughts are what we need here Mr. Redcape.” I knew some sort of flattering language would get him to cooperate.
     “Of course, right Mr. Donald. Well what I was thinking was 'Another score for Justice!' Then I said it to the villain triumphantly. I always think my catchy phrases before I say them. Mom always said think before you speak.”
       Really? You were thinking about your quip? I'll have to make it an action panel or come up with some filler text. Why do I have to write these non-fiction superhero comics. Spend all my time watching tapes of battles, reading files and reports, interviewing heroes, sidekicks, and villains, and drawing their story. Why can't I just make up something for once? Some flight of fancy? Like a world without superheroes. But who am I kidding. Those stories never sell well. Everybody just wants to see a fancy comic book version of their favorite saviors adventures.
      Wonderful way to make propaganda too for the hero organizations. Funds em too. I'd make so much more money if they didn't chomp up like fifty percent of the profits. But they gotta pay for those gadgets somehow.
      “So what did you think after your quip?”
      “Well I had the villain beat so I started to think about what speech to give to the town and what lecture to give to the villain.”
       Ugh. Maybe if I work hard enough on these commissioned non-fiction superhero stories I can write one of my fiction stories in a non-superpowered land. Maybe I'll get a publisher to pick it up. But in the meantime I got to deal with people like Captain Redcape.

No comments:

Post a Comment