Translate

Friday, May 29, 2015

Today's #flashfiction The Game Of Masks

“My spider sense is tingling.”
Shelob* #quote

Tomorrow I'm headed out to my card game thing and the to da movies with da family so I think it will be a day of fun. Anyway onto the flash fiction!

The Game Of Masks

          When someone played poker they played the odds. Whenever someone played a game they encountered skill primarily in two places, card counting and bluffing. Tonight my game took place at a costume party, and every participant wore a mask. I noticed people attempted to convey their “emotions” with body language and finger tapping. All the motions only looked awkward throughout the night, and as the pot grew bigger it was obvious that everyone was used to predicting people based on their facial expressions. I was losing in cash and I needed a big win to pull home a profitable night. I needed to come up with a mind game. I always used reading people to win, I never calculated odds well as I didn't have a good memory with what already came out from the deck. I lost the next hand while trying to think of a trick to use. My bluff for this game of masks.
          “I'm holding four aces and a nine,” I told them all. The truth. I decided not to bluff, pretend I counted the cards well enough to do an actual bluff. Or not a bluff. I'd let the others at the table decide what my mind game meant. They turned their heads to me. I couldn't see their faces. But my wasn't perfect, nor was it poor. If I gave myself a perfect hand, they might call it. A poor hand they might call. But my real hand left them guessing the truth. Good enough to be scary, perfect enough not to be obviously fake. And since it was my real hand, it wouldn't be contradicted by any of the cards in their hands.

          One by one they folded out of the game and left me the pot. It looked like in the game of masks honesty was the best policy.  

No comments:

Post a Comment