Translate

Sunday, April 6, 2014

Today's #flashfiction #TheDustOfTheMagicalMafia

“A penny saved is a penny earned.”
M.C. Hammer* #quote


      While CJ was over for the weekend my brother and his fiancee came to visit as well. The day was filled with going-ons and I couldn't come up with a satisfying story for y'all so I'm going to revist a goodie from way back when that I think you won't remember so you can re-enjoy or enjoy for the first time if you're newer. Anyway onto the flash fiction!

The Dust Of The Magical Mafia


       “Fairy dust,” the mob boss said while holding a glass vial in his claws. “So many different versions throughout the many universes with so many properties that can make it the most valuable substance to swap between worlds. Very illegal to move one kind of fairy dust to a world with fairy dust of a different kind you know.” The mob boss was a dragon fond of standing on his hind legs and wearing a fashionable black suit.   “And so what, here's your free sample?” The mob boss looked at a skinny man in the room with a suit case.
       “Yes, there's a lot of fairy dust. All for you to distribute to your people or alter with your own wizards for your own profit when you get to it because I know you have those facilities. I do not. I am merely the collector. Three thousand gold coins a vial.”
       “Wesley, my shrimpy, little associate, I would have paid that much for fairy dust from that far off world you said you got this from. But this is sand. I don't pay anything for something fake. When did business become so bad Wesley, you had to try to trick your old friend?” The dragon mob boss flicked his thorny tail and blew out some smoke.
       “Mr. Drake I don't know what you're talking about! That isn't sand. That is real fairy dust! You had your most powerful wizard's check all its magical properties.” Those very wizards, four in total, stood next to Drake and nodded their heads. They were so powerful they also doubled as body guards for the mob boss.
         “Wesley. You enchanted this to trick my wizards. Very well I might add considering how well trained they are in detection. I wonder who you hired to enchant this sand. But fairy dust is a physical object too and has non-magical properties like other objects. You can't use magic to trick me.”
Wesley's legs started shaking.
      “For example the kind of fairy dust you're trying to sell to me doesn't have this pure of a grain. Fables all around say that fairy dust is perfectly even sized but in fact there are some bits that are bigger or smaller than others. It's a nearly impossible difference to see.”
       “But Sir!” Wesley shouted.
        “Alright let's say its just me. After all my eyes are old. There are still other properties than simply grain we can look at. Once again, it's an object just like everything else.” The dragon poured the dust over a nearby table. “It can have chemical reactions to solutions like this one that I always carry with me when I do business with people.” The mob boss pulled a bottle out of his pocket. He put the glass vial that held the fairy dust down and opened the top on the bottle. “Now if your fairy dust is real it'll bubble when I pour this solution on it.”
      Sweat covered Wesley's face as Mr. Drake poured the solution over the fairy dust. It mixed with the solution but didn't bubble. The dragon laughed and Wesley trembled.
      “Look no bubbles. Well Wesley looks like you could trick magic but not science. Now, I don't take too kindly to someone trying to trick me boy.” The dragon turned to Wesley and stared at him.
      “I'm so sorry Sir! You know everything I've given you in the past was real! But this time I didn't have the time to gather it or the resources to get it by all the barriers between worlds. The reason was because my son was sick and I had to spend the time and money getting him better. I used up my last favor with Merlin to get something I needed to get him cured. I'm so sorry. You understand. You have a son.”
       Mr. Drake thought for a moment.
      “Wizards take our friend outside and slam him with every torture curse from the Nightmare Book. Then send him home with an enchantment that binds him to his world. And if Wesley ever leaves his world, kill him. Good day Wesley.”

No comments:

Post a Comment