Translate

Thursday, April 3, 2014

Today's #flashnonfiction #TheTragicCall

“Silence is Golden.”
King Midas* #quote


      Tomorrow I'm headed off to one of my fun school club things. And maybe CJ will come over for the weekend. I know I'll be heading out to dinner with my brother as a family dinner. CJ would be coming along if he comes over. I've known CJ since I was in first grade so he's pretty much family.

      Today I'd figured I'd share with you a CJ related story. A strange thing that happened many years ago to me. Anyway onto the flash nonfiction!

The Tragic Call

      I can't remember how young I was at the time, but I knew it was the time before everyone had cellphones, decent Internet access and I had reached my teens. I picked up our phone to call my friend CJ to invite him over, as I did many times before, and would do many times in the future. He didn't answer and to my horror I was told:
      “CJ's dead.”
      Utterly confused I started to ask what had happened. A drive by shooting if I remember(this did happen many years ago, and with all the panic this part is quite a blur, I had just lost my best friend from my perception). I asked why I wasn't invited to the funeral. She told me I she didn't really know any of his friends very well. I found this odd since I met his mom before on several occasions though I didn't speak to her enough on the phone to recognize her “phone voice” on the old phones back then.
      As a confused child might do I just handed the phone off to my mother and the circumstance was eventually resolved. Apparently I accidentally called a woman who just recently had a son named CJ who died recently. A terribly tragic mix up. I always feel sorry for that poor woman, and I do wish I was kidding with this story. Well, I hope she's doing well, and may her son rest in peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment