Translate

Thursday, January 1, 2015

Today's #flashfiction #WormholeHighway

“The happiest place on Earth.”
John Hammond ,Jurassic Park* #quote


When a pirate says “Shiver me timbers!” does that mean his wooden leg is cold? Anyway onto the flash fiction!


Wormhole Highway


           In the movies people who discover intelligent life have titles, are famous scientists, or something like that. People know me as “James” from my name tag. All I do is ship things. I get in my truck and board the wormhole gate on Earth to ship things to the Mars colonies. The “important people”, scientists, governments, and all that, controlled wormholes so well that it became some sort of space under-space(my high school teacher rambled about it some time, went over my head) and resembled a highway that allowed faster-than-light travel in some science-y way.
         I did my job as I always did. Driving along the highway to Mars. Passing the other transport vehicles to the Red Planet. Sometimes those things housed people, pretty much fancy buses. Most of the time they carried just plain ol' stuff. I carried potatoes. Lots of em. Even with all the ways people changed Mars to make it more like Earth and have farms and things, potatoes were hard to grow. I'd wear over my years of shipping I carried a billion potatoes to Mars.
        I think they overloaded my truck this time. Everything was off. I tried to take a turn and the truck didn't move right. Driving is funny in the wormhole highway. I get paid better than the normal driver for doing it perfectly. And I veered off course. My truck, kinda like a semi, but a bit shorter and not as long and with some strange wormholey aerodynamic curves that made it look like a squeezed sausage, spun out of control. The guard railings are nice and strong but when I bashed into them I swear my truck wanted to swan dive right over.
         The airbag managed to keep me conscious as I saw my truck teetered on the safety railings. When I asked my boss what happened if you fell off the side off the highway he just shrugged. I found out pretty quick. The truck fell over and went off into the strange borderline space around the highway. It normally looked like a mix of coffee and milk swirling about around you. Easy to ignore. Now it looked terrifying.
         I found myself on another highway I think. Kinda looked like someone built it out of broken beer bottles melted together. A bunch of strange things gathered around me. They had heads, I think, was that a head? Well, if it's round, and got eight black things that look like eyes on it I'll call it a head. They stood up, on two legs, but their bodies kinda looked like they made themselves out of gray macaroni noodles wrapped together. I started thinking were they copying me? I also wondered why I wasn't more afraid. Eh, maybe I had a concussion from the truck and it made me calmer.
The noodles of one of the creatures vibrated.
         “It's a pleasure to meet you Sir. You're the first to survive falling through. We've been watching your world for many years, learning about your people. Hopefully by analyzing you and your vehicle we can break through into your space and meet? What is your name?”
I answered “James” almost stuttering. Yeah, I at least had something close to a concussion.
        “Wonderful to meet you James. I hope I managed to introduce myself properly. Since we can only speak with each other and learn through observation we can only infer how speak in your languages and dialects and mannerisms. Please, follow me, we have prepared greatly for a human's arrival whenever it may happen.” Yeah, I suppose he did have some sort of, noodle, accent from making the sounds with his body.
         Sounds like I'm going to be an ambassador or teacher or something...but if they dissect me I'm in trouble. No probing, please no probing.
         After breaking into normal space the Noodlians(I was allowed to name them as the one to first meet them in their opinion.) formed peaceful bonds with humanity in a few years. The Noodlians also paid for the potato shipment I lost when I crashed off the highway.

No comments:

Post a Comment