Translate

Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Today's #Scifi #fantasy #blog short story: #DerivedSensations


        Well today I changed up the blog format a little to incorporate hashtags “#s” into the title of my posts so people on twitter can search my posts more easily. (Hashtags allow people to search on twitter for those people who don't know about twitter.) Oh, seizures were up today so that's bad but I really like today's flash fiction and I think you will too. Anyway, have fun reading it!



Derived Sensations


         “So how's the food Samantha?” my Derived said to me with her kind, yellow mechanical eyes looking straight into mine. She smiled. Her eyes served a function, though her teeth were mostly for show to cover up to speaker in the back of her mouth.
         Oh, I suppose I should slow down for a minute and explain to you what a Derived is before continuing. Alright, so yeah, that thinking Artificial Intelligence you guys are working towards? It won't work in the way you think its going to. You can't code it with a team of genius programmers and its not going to be a massive string of self rewriting code, at least in the way that many of you are thinking of it. Now don't stop trying, you're going to come up with some nifty stuff along the way, but you ain't going to make it that way. What actually happens in my time is some scientists came up with the Derived.
          These scientists realized that since they couldn't just code a thinking artificial intelligence they took data from a human brain and put it into a machine. And it worked. I don't understand much of it myself(I'm only in grade school, though an honor student! Top of my class too! Sorry am I bragging too much?) but I do that they managed to make a thinking feeling machine by taking the data from a human brain. That's where the word Derived comes from, its because Deriveds are machines who's robotic brains are created from data derived from human brains. And each person's individual Derived has data taken from their brain. My Derived has taken from my brain. My Mom's Derived has taken from her brain, etc. Originally Derived were used like every other machine as slave labor but they had their own civil rights movement though it was legally mandated that there be one Derived for each human to avoid any population explosions. Some groups against Deriveds being viewed the same a humans have mandated that although they may be allowed to have humanoid forms they must have bodies with roughly the same amount of strength and must be visually different so that no one would mistake one for a human. They don't have the right the vote, but they have the right to trial. So there's still a lot of progress to be made.
         My mother laughed, “Wow Sundown you must be looking forward to that taste sensor project. You've been asking us about food ever since it's been announced. You're practically torturing yourself. It's like a kid shaking an unopened Christmas present.” Sundown was the name of my Derived. The same groups that forced Derived to be unhumanlike also passed laws that mandated to not have human names. (If there was a human named Sundown in the past it wasn't considered a traditional human name so she could legally have it) Scientists were developing a taste sensor for the Derived and most Derived on the planet were looking forward to its release and pouring into its development as the only senses they have now are sight and sound and their only experiences with tastes could be through memories they got when first created when their Derived from memories when derived from a human brain. “Though you know we don't have the money for it.”
        Sundown frowned with her artificial mouth, “Yeah I know. I'll probably have to wait a year until we can get it.” She also twiddled her steel thumbs. “Besides Dad's Derived should get it first.” though not biologically part of our family she considered her self part of it. This was not unusual for Deriveds to consider themselves part of the families they were in.
         Dad's Derived shook his head, “No you should get it first.” Just like me Dad had a Derived. His name was Eastwind.(Oh, and if you noticed Eastwind and Sundown are kinda nature-like names. That's because Derived want to have a relation to nature to feel less like machines.) As I said before, one Derived to a person. However Mom's Derived had died. It was a car accident, nothing more complicated than that though it was probably the saddest moment of my life. By law a person could not get a second Derived created. Though Mom would never want to replace her. I keep calling Derived hims and hers though they don't actually have genders. This is usually because Deriveds take on the gender identity of the person they are derived from. “Besides even if it takes three years to get it you can get a few more memories of taste from the next derivation.”
        Deriveds are not just derived once in their lives. Each year they are derived again in a sort of update. But not completely, keeping the memories they have acquired themselves. Though they never get all of our data, only fragments. And memories are never clean or perfect, which is why the Deriveds want the taste sensors so much they want to experience it for themselves instead of hollow, vague memories.
        Also updating is a necessity. A Derived mind decays unless it is updated. It seems without additional data from a human brain the robot brain wears itself out, even if it gets information on its own.
Dad's Derived update was coming up soon and this gave me an idea. I asked my Derived to come to school one day. I told her it was to help me study. But truthfully it was for an entirely different reason. I looked up the price for the taste sensor and how difficult it was for the scientists it was for them to make. I knew it would be years before we could get one. But I wanted Sundown to experience it. I didn't want my Derived to go without it. I don't think you could understand it, but a Derived is someone you literally pour your heart and soul into and spend your whole life with. I couldn't let her wait so long for something she desired so much. My school was a massive campus comprised of classes for grade school to high school and I knew that high school lab had just gotten something special.
An upgrade machine.
       If you remember said I was grade school honor student. I also have an advance placement course in a high school science class. One talent I have is becoming a teacher's pet because I study so hard and get such high grades. I run errands too for the teachers so I got an access card to some of the classrooms, one being the advanced placement high school lab class I have. And this would be the first time I would ever abuse it.
My Derived looked around the lab, “I can't believe you forgot your book in here. Don't you not even use a book in your advanced placement lab class?”
       “I'm sorry.” I said to Sundown with a frown. “I lied. We're not actually here to get a book or study.”
She then looked at me puzzled. At least her expression looked as puzzled as it could for a machine such as herself. The laws that prevented her from looking human gave her far less facial expressions. “Than what are we here to do?”
       I pointed at a machine in the lab. “See that update machine?”
       “Yes.” she responded. “But I'm not due for update for several months.”
        I then told her, “We're her to that. I had an idea. For you to experience taste, I know we'll probably never be able to afford that taste sensor at least not for several years, but if we use that machine we can.”
      “How?” she asked me.
      I then pulled out a chocolate candy bar, “We turn it on while I'm awake and eating then you'll update taking my immediate short term memory and experience taste. Then we turn it off as soon as I'm done eating the bar. I read about it on the Internet. A scientist wrote a paper on how to do it and everything! He did it with his own Derived!”
     Sundown went silent for a moment, “Do you realize how dangerous that sounds? Even if that scientist is right are you sure you would what you're doing?”
      I then sternly responded, “But you could taste Sundown. I've been thinking recently about what it would be like to not taste and I really want you to be able to.”
     She then glanced at her bare, robotic feet. By the laws that didn't allow them to like humans they weren't allowed to wear clothes either. So the Derived robots could actually get memories of being shamefully naked at school or work from the people their Derived from and then still be forced to walk around naked all their life. Sundown always looked down on her feet like whenever she was nervous. I really think she got that dream from me. She never said if she did and I don't know for sure because Deriveds don't get all memories from the people they're derived from.
      She looked up at me, “Alright let's do it.”
       I then hooked us up to the machine. I ignored the part that was supposed to put anesthesia to knock me out. I was smart enough to bring the actual paper written by the scientist on the Internet on how to run the machine while you were awake. I had read it practically hundreds of times before coming here and memorized but still looked at everything on it anyways.
      An update machine does look that impressive. Pretty much its just an anesthesia device for me, two boxes with tons of wires to read my brain then a ton of wires to plug into her brain. The boxes hooked up to monitors that had keyboards and mice. The anesthesia was actually not to keep from getting hurt but just to make sure it read my brain while I'm asleep, a conscious mind would be read differently than a conscious mind. Of course that's the entire idea here.
      I set up the device completely both of us plugged in. I don't know how long it took, but it felt like forever. When the device turned on I felt shivers down my spine. The wires on my head had devices on them that while scanning sent pulses at a few nerves they were hooked up to stimulate what they thought would be my unconscious mind. That must have been what caused my shivers. I then heard Sundown yell.
     “What's happening to me?” her eyes looked at me. “Am I dying?”
     I almost turned off the machine then I thought for a moment and laughed, “Sundown, I think your feeling your first sensation besides sight and sound. It's shivers down your spine.” It had work liked the scientist said. The updater was reading my short term memory a few moments after I experienced the shivers down my spine she did.
       She froze in place, “That's what this is? So strange.”
       I then smiled, “Alright next comes the candy bar.”
       I unwrapped the candybar. It was pure chocolate. I began to eat it. She sat their silent for a moment. Then she spoke.
       “This is beautiful. So this is what it's like to have another sense. Memories are so hollow compared to this. Don't stop.” I kept eating the bar. I finished it. “Thank you that was so amazing. Though while you were eating. I was thinking. Could you just sniff the air for a moment?” I found this request a little odd. Sundown looked like she was in some sort of trance. The chemicals in the lab were a little obnoxious but I didn't notice them until after I had finished the chocolate bar. “So that's smell without taste. Thanks” she paused for a moment. “There's another sense. Could you touch something? My hands don't have nerves like yours. I don't know touch either.” I looked around. Everything on the machine was so blunt and edged so I just grabbed my hair. “So that's touch.”
        I looked at the time and realized that soon the janitors would be coming to clean up the labs so I told her we had to leave the machine. She still looked like she was in a trance even after I took her and myself out of the machine. She thanked me over and over for showing her sensations. After wards we discussed it all and she begged to go back. I decided we should and we continued going, mastering sneaking in and out of the lab. I brought in different foods and things for her to feel and experience. I brought in a tuft of fur for example. I even brought in a wet noodle (She thought it was so odd looking she just had to know what it felt like) for her. We continued our scheme week after week.
      Eventually when the price dropped down so it was affordable for nearly everyone to get it(as with nearly every tech the price drops over time) my Mom and Dad eventually got the taste sensor made by the scientists for Sundown. Sundown told me when Mom and Dad weren't listening,
       “The taste sensor is impressive but it's nothing like the real deal.”

No comments:

Post a Comment