Translate

Friday, June 22, 2012

Today's #Scifi #fantasy short story #HerFirstMeeting



        Today was very exciting. I was contacted by Connie Flynn, a multi-published author who also teaching fiction for fifteen years. She wants to feature one of my stories on her facebook pages! It is not being featured today, but it will be in the future and I am speaking with her right now about it. The story is Greetings From a Book http://langdonflashfictions.blogspot.com/2012/06/greetings-from-book.html she thought it showed why writers write. I will tell you when it is being featured on her two pages. (One is her personal page and one is for her Bootcamp for Novelists) these are the pages: http://www.facebook.com/bootcampfor.novelists http://www.facebook.com/ConnieFlynnAuthor


      Her First Meeting

      “You'll do fine.”
      “What if he doesn't like me?”
       “He'll like you.”
        “Of course you'd say that. You're my Dad. You'd say anything like that.”
        “No. I'm serious. You're quite charismatic. Remember how you did during training?”
        “But that's a hologram. A program. This is the real deal. This one will have real feelings.”
      “And so do you. And I think it will realize that. Now it will be spooked at first. But I know you will be able to sway it. And I'm confident that you will be one of the ones to be promoted to being one of the leading ambassadors when we finally make ourselves completely known to them.”
       “Yeah. That is my dream.”
       “I know it is. I also know that your ready for this.”
       “You really think I'm ready? You really do? You're not just being the supportive Dad?”
       “Honey. Right now we're speaking one of their languages for practice just fine. You piloted the ship here just fine. You've already targeted the one you want just fine. All you have to do is push that red button to zap him onto the ship. I know your ready. Besides any memories he gets will be wiped so you don't need to worry about messing up. But I know you won't. Now I'm going to go into the back room while you bring him on board.”
        “Alright...bye Dad! Okay...gotta push the button...okay button pushed!”
        “What was that light!? Where am I!? Oh...my...are...you...a...”
         “I come in peace.”
          “Then...I'm...on...a...please don't hurt me!”
          “I'm not going to hurt you! No one's going to hurt you.”
          “But that's what you things do to us! Don't you eat us or dissect us? Or eat us or probe us or something?”
           “N-no we don't do that. It's not like in your movies. I just want to talk. We're all friendly and are working to build friendly relationships with you for the future. I just want to talk. See I'm not holding any ray guns or anything. And there are no experiment tools. Besides the control panel this is just an empty room.”
           “I don't care I want to leave this place.”
           “W-well. I'm supposed to talk to you longer but I don't want to hold you against you will. Push the red button over there. It'll take you out of the ship and it will wipe you of your memories of this encounter so you won't have to worry about anybody thinking your crazy or anything.”
          “Your just letting me leave?”
           “Yes. I don't want to hold you unwillingly.”
          “Well if your someone who would do that then your someone that I would be okay with talking with. At least for a little bit.”
         “Seriously?”
         “Yeah. And now that I think about it you don't look too nasty. I've seen much grosser ooze coming from creatures in movies before. Though I probably look odd to you.”
        “Yeah a little.”
        “So what do you want to talk about?”
         “I know you probably want to hear about me. But since your memory has to be wiped at the end of this it's kind of pointless, sorry but we gotta keep secret until we all land here later. Though it's gonna happen probably in the next decade or so. My dream is to be one of the leading ambassadors on that trip so I want to learn as much about you as possible.”
         “Wow your dream huh?”
         “Yes. It's my dream to unite our people.”
        “Then I guess I'd better help as much as I can. Though I don't know where to start.”
        “How about you try your hobbies and work from there?”
         “I suppose you could say I like sports. Though I only play them when their video game versions.”
          “Okay. What else?”
        “I don't play it a lot but I like a few rounds of chess now and again another hobby of mine is......”
         “........You did well in there honey. You chatted with that human for hours before he decided to leave.”
        “I know. I learned so much. I think if we try hard we can really bond with them. I think we can do it. I think I can do it. I doubted myself before, but I really think for sure I can become an ambassador.”
       “I never doubted you for a second.”
        “I know Dad.”
       
        This work is copyright Langdon Kennedy you may share this(email it, print it, post it on your own website, broadcast it, smoke-signal it etc.) work unaltered as long as you credit me as the author and share a link to this blog with it and it is not for profit. If you have any questions and/or are unclear of these conditions email me at llkenne1@asu.edu

Comment: This one was a really weird story for me to write. I liked doing it though. A story without any dialog tags or narration. Doing something different from what I usually do was fun. I wonder what kind of images popped into your head. I probably won't do more of these in the future as a lot of the fun of this was jumping out of the standard zone of what I do.

No comments:

Post a Comment