Translate

Thursday, June 21, 2012

Today's #Scifi #fantasy #blog short story #TheScientistandtheWizard


       Well today is a late post since it took me so long to write this story but its a good one. Seizures weren't too bad but whatever.



The Scientist and the Wizard

       “You really will do anything in the name of progress?” said the wizard as he looked around the scientist's lab. Though the lab was mostly clean there were still a few barrels of waste of several vials of deadly chemicals. Also there were animals in cages. The animals looked happy and content but they were caged and tagged nonetheless.
       “And what about your needlessly stubborn defense of useless tradition?” responded the scientist he adjusted his glasses into place, as if the guys-with-glasses-are-smarter stereotype could actually give him an intellectual advantage in the conversation.
       The wizard adjusted his gray hat, a common compulsive habit for wizards, “Don't mock my traditional magical rituals. Your scientific method is a tradition you follow blindly. Perhaps if you didn't stick to your traditional logic so much you scientists would be able to make more of that progress you want so much. Sometimes I think we wizards experiment more with our sorcery more than you scientists do with your science.” The wizard crossed his arms, his black robes quickly folding along them. The scientists white lab coat hit a stark contrast with the robes. “I just wonder what kind of experiments your doing with this waste and these animals. Or are they different experiments?
       The scientist scowled at the wizard, “You degrade my experiments? Have you ever wondered how many lives my experiments have saved alongside other experiments by other scientists? Yes, I will do anything in the name of progress. Well, not anything. I've heard about what you wizards have done. Haven't you wizards killed alligators just for their eyes then slayed dragons just to pull out their hearts all to cast simple fire spells for simple firework shows. And don't think I don't know about the wizard Saruxi. The one who would kill to extend his own lifespan, but the spell would only increase his lifespan by one year for each person he killed.”
       The wizard then yelled in response, “That man is called the Dark Wizard Saruxi for doing that. And if you to speak as if his deeds reflects upon me then the deeds of all the bombs and war machines used in any of your greedy wars reflects upon you! And as your medicine has cured people my magic can bring life to fields where farming techniques created by your principles have failed.”
They both paused. The room filled with silence. Even the animals in the cages didn't chatter.
       “This is pointless.” they both said in unison.
       The wizard sighed, “Yes, I didn't come all this way on my old dragon just to argue with you I came here to do something much more important.”
        “Y'know,” the scientist said with a smile, “I could have drove you all that way if your dragon is so old.”
The wizard rolled his eyes, “I'd rather not ride in that loud contraption of yours. And you already risked your life enough the first time you went deep into my land.”
        It was true. The scientist had risked his life. Though scientists and wizards mostly tolerated each other and sometimes formed friendships many of the most principled scientists and the strongest wizards hated the other parties. This scientist needed a powerful wizard for his special project so he had to venture into the land of the most powerful wizards. Many of them would have loved to have cast a nasty curse out of spite on him. But they didn't. That was because he was willing to go into the tavern where the most powerful wizards dined, interrupt their dinners with a loud shout, and then asked them if they would put aside their differences to assist him in changing the world by helping him with his special project, something that needed both magic and science. They all respected his guts. But only this wizard was willing to come to his lab.
       “But I succeeded and got your help.” the scientist said. “So we can change the world.”
The wizard looked at scientist, “But what if it doesn't work?”
        The scientist shrugged. “Then we'll have to try, try, try again. Though if it doesn't work the way we want it to then I hope it just becomes a dud instead of some sort of horror movie monster.” he looked over to a table on the far side of the lab. On that table was a robot body in the shape of a young boy. He pointed to the robot. “There's the body. Complete. Just like a said it would be. So did you bring all your magical components?”
       The wizard laughed when he looked at the robot at the table, “ I was expecting a full man sized body. But a young boy?” the wizard smiled. “When I investigated you to be safe I heard the rumors but I didn't expect them to be true.” the wizard gave the scientist a condescending look, “O, high and mighty scientist, you're not doing this for progress. You don't want to change the world. You're sterile just like rumors say and all you want is a kid.” the wizard laughed. “And that's why you brought me here to do is to help you to do by putting a soul in it.”
       The scientist gave him a sad look, “Yes it's true. I'm sterile. Even with scientific means my sperm aren't viable to make children. I've tried to adopt. But not one agency likes the idea of a child living with a single father with only a lab full of chemicals as living space.” the scientist let out a small chuckle with a tear. “I figured steel skin would fix that problem.”
        The wizard walked up to the robot body and touched it. When designing it the scientist knew he couldn't make something completely perfect so he focused on giving his boy a moving, flexible body instead of something that looked better but could hardly moved. So everything was open and closed as it needed to be and painted a nice hue of black. Every part was perfectly placed. Even without knowing nearly anything about robotics just by looking at it the wizard could tell the perfection of the craftsmanship. Though one part of the body was perfectly human looking. The head. The best prosthetic skin in the world. The eyes looked biological but must have been mechanical just like everything else. The wizard grabbed the brown hair on the head of the robot. He couldn't tell if it was real or fake.
        The wizard looked at the scientist. He adjusted his gray hat. “I'm sorry for laughing at you earlier.” he said with a frown, “But I'm not sure if I should continue. At first I came here expecting to fix problems. The problems where scientists would make robots with artificial intelligences that would make their machines smack into walls while we would bring souls to Earth in worthless bodies like zombies. I thought I was going to be here to bring humanity into a new age of soul summoning. But in truth I'm not here to help make progress. I'm just here to help a lonely man get a son.”
       The scientist then yelled, “You're talking as if there's something wrong with that!”
The wizard then took a glance at the robot then back to the scientist. He took glances back and forth between the both of them several times. He then pulled out a bag from the belt beneath his robes. He poured out all the spell components on the floor. Then he began the soul summoning ritual.
        “So scientist, how exactly do you intend to get this soul to attach to your robot? At first I didn't question it but now I wonder how a man with little knowledge of magic would be able to make something that could hold a soul. If you had that knowledge why would you need me?”
        The scientist smiled at the wizard. “No, I need you. I know very little about magic. The logic of magic is often bizarre, backwards and often arbitrary to me. It would probably take me years to truly comprehend it. But I knew that even if they didn't make sense to me magic did have rules and I didn't have to understand them to use them. The robot body is built to follow the rules and standards for artificial bodies like a zombie or a golem except with robotic parts. I don't understand the reasons behind the rules or standards but eventually I figured out how to replicate them with robotic parts.”
       The wizard then laughed, “So you actually don't understand any of it. You're like a kid copying the answers of a textbook for his homework. That's rather clever scientist. So all I have to do is send the soul into the body like I would for a zombie or golem?”
        “Yes. That should work.” the scientist worked very hard to maintain a professional composure but the fact the wizard was cooperating made him ecstatic.
        The wizard nodded. “Good. You should be glad you got a wizard of my talent. I can summon the soul of a young boy who had an untimely death. He won't know that, he won't have any memories for that matter, but his essence will still be there. He won't know how to speak. You okay with that?” The ritual was going along fine. The wizard could easily perform it with distractions. He was one of the most skilled wizards of them all. One of the reasons the scientist risked his life to go into the land of the dangerous wizards who hated scientists was to get someone of his talents.
       The scientist shook his head, “Memories shouldn't be a problem. I've given him memories to allow him to understand language and how to walk and talk. He'll know what our world is like, for example he know what a cat or dog or tree is. Or what a wizard or scientist is. Though I haven't given him any sort of artificial memories beyond concepts. I want him to live his own life. But he'll know how to speak.”
       The wizard laughed. “Wow. I am impressed. I'm getting a new found respect for your talents scientist. If it actually works and the soul goes into this machine like it would a normal magical vessel like a zombie you would have cheated magic!” the wizard then noticed the scientist looking awkwardly at the robot body. “I'm sorry I'm laughing again. I'm not considering how much differently this situation means for you than it does for me” The wizard continued the magic soul summoning ritual successfully despite their conversation. He was close to finishing.
       “It's alright. In a way we're practically from different worlds.” The scientist smiled at the wizard. “Okay. As soon as you finish the ritual it should automatically start up.” The scientist didn't want to call his prospective son “it” but he wasn't sure how comfortable the wizard was with the concept of it being a living "he" and he didn't want the wizard to have second thoughts at the last moment.
         “Alright.” the wizard responded. “As soon as I finish say a few last magic words the ritual will be complete.” then the wizard glared at the scientist. “And if you laugh I will kill you.” the wizard then took a deep breath before saying the magic words, “Foo, hoo, yuu, tu-tu, doo-doo!” Considering he was about to have his long awaited son it did not take much effort for the scientist to resist laughing at the magic words.
         Without any prompt from either the wizard or the scientist the robot got up and looked around the room. It looked startled, its prosthetic able to move perfectly to create human expression. It became even more shocked when it looked at its hands and own body.
         “Holy crap I'm a robot!” the young boy modeled robot shouted at the top of steel lungs.
          The scientist approached the robot. “I know this must be scary for you. But it's all okay. I'm here for you. I'm your new father and this wizard helped me create you by bringing your soul into this world.”
        “Well duh!” the young boy robot yelled back. “This is a lab. I'm a robot on an operating table and your wearing a friggin' lab coat! It's not that hard to figure out! And really the soul's probably the only a reason you'd have a wizard over here. Oh, God. I just looked over at the chalkboard you have over there with all the equations and I understand them all. Did you give me a super brain too?”
         The wizard then gave the scientist a judgmental glare, like a scornful father. “Really now? I just thought you gave him memories to help him walk and talk? And he says super brain?”
The scientist responded with an awkward look on his face, “I just wanted my son to be smart.”
         The robotic boy then smiled. “Okay, I can totally dig a super brain. So how about any other cool gadgets and stuff?”
         The scientist looked back at him puzzled. “Cool gadgets? What do you mean?”
         “Y'know.” the boy responded. “Like jet boots. Please told me you gave me jet boots. I don't need lasers or scanners or extendable but for the love of God please tell me you gave me jet boots.”
         “N-no.” the scientist replied with a stutter. “I didn't give you jet boots.. I didn't give you anything extra either.”
         The boy then leaped off the table. “Man what kind of mad scientist are you then? No jet boots or anything?”
         The scientist then mumbled back, “I'm not a mad scientist. I just wanted a son.” The scientist then looked over to the wizard with a pleading look.
        “Hey, don't look at me like that. It's your kid now. You made your bed now you lie in it.” the wizard then started to head out the door. “Now if you'll excuse me I have an episode of Hot Witches & Broomsticks to catch on my crystal ball.” 


        This work is copyright Langdon Kennedy you may share this story(email it, print it, post it on your own website etc.) work unaltered as long as you credit me as the author and put a link to this blog and it is not for profit.

No comments:

Post a Comment