Translate

Friday, December 20, 2013

Today's #flashfiction #MechanicalConviction

“It's hammer time!”
Bob the Builder* #quote


Today CJ's hanging out. Anyway onto the flash fiction!


Mechanical Conviction


          The worst part about being a robot is your conviction. When you set out to do something, execute it, you follow it through. We don't hesitate, doubt, or any of those things. Unless I just break down, I will finish what I've been programmed to do. Even the most “sentient” of machines like me with the most sophisticated of robotic brains still, at the core, execute programs until completion.
         And as I've walked this desolate land, I've been attempting to finish one single order. My humanoid robot body showing damage. My head had a face with the ability to show expressions so I can comfortably interact with those around me, but now it the skin had a few tears so any emotions I tried would come across through tearing skin. From the neck down they didn't give me skin, but a smooth, metallic surface, that didn't look creepy, but made sure that despite my human head, everyone knew I was a machine. And that part of my body was wearing down. While executing my current task I worked to repair it and recharge it so I could keep going, but each time my condition became worse. I was not a professional and all my attempts at repair were sloppy.
        My task was so simple. Deliver a message to the C.E.O. for the company I worked for above. I was his secretary. But a bomb hit the building. And soon bombs hit nearly every building in the city. And nukes started hitting various cities in the country. A war broke out. But I couldn't do much else until I finished my order. That's just how we work. And until I had undeniable confirmation the C.E.O. was dead I couldn't stop in my conviction to execute my task.
        As I felt my mechanical legs wear away at themselves I wished I had the human ability to give up.

No comments:

Post a Comment