Translate

Friday, January 24, 2014

Today's #flashfiction #ADealWithTheDevilAlwaysHasFinePrint

“I've just perfected an Electronic Hair Bat-Analyzer which may hold the key to this baffling question.”
Christian Bale* #quote



CJ's coming over tomorrow. Anyway onto the flash fiction!


A Deal With The Devil Always Has Fine Print


        Satan took the form of a young man, about nineteen, when he met me. He pretended to be a client from rich parents asking for expensive legal consultation on a simple case to get him off with a slap on the wrist. A common kind of client for me. It was no surprise to me later that the devil faked records with ease. His form wore a shirt with some rock band logo on it, jeans and slicked back black hair and innocent looking blue eyes.
        Though his eyes turned sinister when the walls of my office turned to perpetual fire. They never burnt down and didn't feel hot. I still felt comfortable in my suit. Two large demons came up by the sides of the Satan. He introduced himself properly. He told me the start of conversation was to get a impression of me and he wanted to give me all I wanted in exchange for my soul.
      I decided to fight the devil then and there. He deserved it. We passed paper back and forth, renegotiating a contract for what seemed like days. The devil did tell me that we were locked in a separate magic time line. I would not need to eat or sleep and when we finished we would return to the normal world at the same time we started.
      After we finished negotiation both the devil and I signed the contract in blood. He wrote Lucifer and I wrote Edison Warden.
The devil laughed.
      “What's so funny?” I asked him.
      “You lawyers are the easiest to get souls from. You always want to beat me at my own game. For pride in many cases, after all how else could you show off your skill than beating the devil in a contract. You're one of the ones that wanted to beat me since you think the devil deserves to be beaten huh? Because I'm the bad guy? Silly mortal. Nobody beats me at my own game.”
      “I did.” I smiled. Beating down Satan would be satisfying. Exactly how much evil the fallen angel was directly responsible for I didn't know, but wiping that smug look off his face would be all the greater. Especially since he decided to take the form of a spoiled rich kid teenager.
       He smirked back to me. “I see where some of your confidence comes from. Like most lawyers I face when  I said you may exchange your soul for something as the rule you wished for a “collection of items” and then started to list them in the contract. And then you made them very, very, very specific, with pages of disclaimers and details. You also dictated that they must be acquired in a certain manner. I assume that was meant so that I can't magically make them appear.”
       “Yes indeed.”
        Satan snapped his fingers and the demons by his side vanished, replaced with a few others. “Obviously you want me to be extremely inconvenienced by your contract. Possibly taking years to create the items you desire. I'll just send hundreds of my demons to do it overnight. You really think I would agree to building you a castle by hand? Of course in my revisions I phrased it, 'a castle built by hand'. All of your tedious tasks you attempted to make me do I revised so that the fine details would allow it to be done by my underlings.”
I clenched my fist. I thought he might have included that phrasing for that purpose. The devil was good. But I was better.
I waved my finger at the devil as if he was a naughty child. “Tsk, tsk tsk. Poor Mr. Lucifer. Looks like your going to lose some demons. If you remember I did put in a clause towards the end that says I get to keep all property used in the process of bestowing to me the items I request.”
The devil growled. “Ah, yes, now I remember. You must have realized my demons were slaves. And the word bestowing. It could mean giving, delivering, creating for. It's too vague. You're a bit more clever than the average human I run across. But you've already lost Mr. Edison Warden.”
       “Oh?” I said in a curious and cocky tone. I was honestly worried though. I knew the devil must be a very clever and devious monster.
      “You didn't read the fine print regarding removal of the soul. I get one minute complete access and control of your body around your time of death. Now you didn't change this thinking it was just for soul removal but with complete access to your body I can just have you sign a different contract that gives me permission to travel back in time and take everything away from you that I gave you or even more. It's my last resort if I feel spiteful. Normally I give you silly mortals what you want but you've annoyed me enough.”
      This scared me. I started mentally searching through my mind. I didn't know what kind of judge or force made these contracts word. But I felt like if I didn't mention something than he would win as soon as he brought me back to the normal world. I needed a grand loophole. Something to beat the devil at his own game.
      Come on...think think...I didn't write anything specifically against him. Wait! I have it! The grand loophole against all devil contracts!
      I smiled with relief. “Mr. Lucifer. I'm sorry but you will never collect my soul.”
      “What!?” The devil grew angry and his skin turned red. “You're jumping from me telling you that I will take everything away to I'll have nothing? Ridiculous!”
       “Devil. I asked for items to be delivered to be upon my request. Your contract is not to give me the ability to have these items but to give me them when I ask for them. That castle to be built by hand?While in the living world I have to ask you to build it for me. As long as I don't ask you to provide all the items in the contract then you have not fulfilled your end of the bargain and you do not get me soul.”
     The devil's furious red skin turned to normal and he went silent for a long time. He picked up the contract and looked through all the pages then placed it down. “Mr. Warden you are one of the few humans to have beaten me. Congratulations.” He vanished in a puff of smoke along with his demons and my room returned to normal. A copy of the contract remained behind.

No comments:

Post a Comment