Translate

Friday, January 3, 2014

Today's #flashfiction #TheEclipseOfThought

“Pull my finger.”
Miss Manners* #quote



       Today I played Pokemon cards with my parents actually. I suppose it's good they know what the game I'm playing is like. It's not unusual for folks my age(22) and even to my parents to play, Pokemon is an old game and some people start playing the card game because compared to other trading card games it's cheaper or it has more tournaments than some, or it's got a nicer crowd and better atmosphere or any combination of those or more. (Those other players words and not my own, I haven't really played a lot of different games with a lot of different crowds, but it seems different games can have different cultures develop around them over time. Interesting huh?) And several older people play it with their kids, or play with the other adults as their kids play with other kids. Anyway onto the flash fiction!

The Eclipse Of Thought


       A sunny Wednesday started out with my thoughts clear and crisp. I read the paper. I smiled. I went to work and did my job, crunching numbers on a computer, perfectly. My precision made me as valuable as three employees. My boss congratulated me. “Johnson, you're getting another raise. We're making sure you're staying.” When I drove home and arrived home my mind flowed as clearly as the light from the sun to the Earth.
       I said hello to my wife. She smiled, and told me how much she loved me. She gave me a hug and shook nervously like she usually did when I saw. I said to her, “There, there. Elizabeth.” I kissed one of her bruises that she got last week from an accident. Kisses do make everything better.
       I sent her off to make dinner, she looked so pretty in that red-stained dress of hers, and I grabbed some wine from the cabinet. I started drinking as I often do. My thoughts stopped being so clear. They didn't shine like sunlight normally would, they darkened away. Thinking vanished. The only things I remember from the following eclipse was screaming, crying and the ring of a phone.
      My next coherent thoughts came to me while I was handcuffed in a cell, police officers keeping an eye out on me. In the distance I could see my wife in her lovely red stained dress talking to a police chief while he looked pitifully, and horrified at all the bruises over her body. The chief then looked at me, disgusted and angry. Why was he looking at me like that? Did he intend to put me in prison for something. Over time, my thoughts cleared up completely, and I only felt fear and panic.

No comments:

Post a Comment