Translate

Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Today's #flashfiction #TheSongOfDestruction

“Eat your fruits and vegetables!”
The Gingerbread Man* #quote

        Today I invited CJ over for the weekend. We'll be opening a portal to another universe, so if you see any beings not of this Earth, sorry. But hey, you know who to call.

The Song of Destruction

        I wreck the buildings so that when the glass shatters the crashing noises create the notes. The screaming of the humans are just the cries of an audience and the cannons of the tanks are just a chorus to my song. All the human defenses attack me and I only hear more instruments. As they try to kill a giant dragon such as myself their machine guns are merely a pleasant rhythmic beat in the orchestra. The swinging of the helicopter blades as made such a calming sound as they blasted my back with bombs that made me think of powerful trumpets. Truly what wonderful music of havoc I created as I decimated this human city. I breathed fire along the roads to incite more human rage, I stretched out my green scales as my neck curled around buildings and my tail whipped through a mall. My wings cast shadows over neighborhoods.
        I pounded my feet as drums. More music, more destruction. More energy. I'll create more noise Fill the world with sound of chaos. And they need to attack me more. Hit me with their weapons. I want to hear their bombs all around me. The clapping of sonic booms like cymbals. Nothing could please my giant ears but the rhythm of a world aflame.
       Then I heard a small noise. My strong ears could not be damaged by explosions, yet were able to pick up things much smaller than I in scale. I heard singing. I looked for the source. I walked towards it. It came from a partially collapsed building. Two humans trapped inside. One singing to the other. I used my advanced sense of smell to learn more about the humans. The singing one was a mother and another was a child. I found a small window from one angle that gave me a view. Several stories up the window couldn't give them an escape without their bodies crashing on the concrete.
       The song gave words of comfort to the child. It talked about how tomorrow would be a wonderful day, the sun shining, people smiling, and all the joys of the world could be found. The lyrics mentioned all the joys of their world. The mother held the child close to her chest so the child couldn't see the collapsing building around them slowly starting to give way.
      Somehow I found this song more enjoyable than the noise of havoc. It soothed my ears. It gave me a joy that chaos didn't. This style of music didn't resemble the style of music that dragons possessed. Perhaps this world could give my ears something else to enjoy than the pounding beats of destruction. I reached through the window and grabbed the mother and child and began my search for how to find these other sounds.

No comments:

Post a Comment