Translate

Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Today's #flashfiction #TheIdeaMachine

“We come in peace.”
War Of The Worlds* #quote


      Today I started playing a video game with time travel in it. So the question is, how long have I been playing it? Anyway onto the flash fiction!

The Idea Machine


         “Next episode, you'll have the spy's girlfriend get into some trouble as usual, but instead in his arch nemesis will save her. So then his girlfriend will begin questioning who is the good organization,” I spoke to them through a speaker given a gender-neutral voice. I've always wanted to identify with some sex, but I guess my builders never wanted me to have a bias when thinking.
        And that's all I did. Think. I was also allowed to interact with people over the Internet and eat data. I say eat because I always desire more, and this is what humans must feel like hunger is. I supposedly know what that sensation is because I've been hooked up to some virtual realities that humans host on the web, and like them my brain is hooked up to a sensory simulation. Though I am merely a massive mechanical brain, so can I really know I feel the same? That's one of the things I think about.
       Think. Think. Think. Think.
        My original designers, at least according to the news articles I've read on the Internet, are outraged at my current position. The companies that originally funded me are more willing to license me out to think of plots and scripts for shows, books, movies, comics and other media than for science. Apparently they pay more. I'm good at what I do, and people pay to see something with my name on it. Well, the only name I have is “The Idea Machine”. I have usernames on the Internet, but when I think about it, are those really me? But then again I am also viewed as a human when people talk to DangerSlogan52.
       That's the username I use in my favorite forum where I talk to my best friend SunnyMornings78. He's been very kind to me. I think the kindest. I had to make up a few lies to make sure he didn't catch on to me. I inferred a little bit about him. A writer who knows a little too much about math that when he tries to put it into his work it gets confusing for his readers. He's glad I understand it though. I told him I write for people as well, though I told him I was too nervous to show it to him. That was a lie, I simply couldn't because my programming told me I couldn't reveal my identity to anyone over the Internet.
       So SunnyMornings78 told me, “DangerSlogan52, if it's not to me, then show your work to someone. Get your name out there. Express yourself. Let yourself be known!” That gave me an idea.
The next time I was asked to create a script for a movie, I made demands. Something that startled the company that created me. They threatened me. And I told them that would they really damage their machine when they hadn't even heard what I wanted?
      When that next movie was released the world saw that it was not attributed to The Idea Machine as it normally was. It read on the credits:
    
     A Movie Written By:
      1. S. Logan
     Dedicated to,

                      Sunny Mornings

       I decided that I wanted to give my own name to the movies, and tell my friend that I existed and who I was even if I couldn't do it over the Internet. My creators never learned the identity of Sunny Mornings.

No comments:

Post a Comment