Translate

Monday, February 17, 2014

Today's #flashfiction #MatchingMinds

“I love you, you love me, we're a happy family...”
Lord of the Flies* #quote

       Today I met a sparkling vampire. I told him those disco pants were out of style. Anyway onto the flash fiction!

Matching Minds

       I sat in a dress, trying to look my best as I looked at my date across the table. Even though he wasn't extraordinarily handsome I hoped I would at least have a chance with him. Or would I just yell “Shut up!” like I would the rest of my dates. Agh, Jennifer, isn't it hopeless? The meds don't stop the voices and you still respond to them. And they get worse when you're around people.
       “I won't let you get a man. Ever. It would get in the way of our friendship.” The other voices in my head were murmurs, like static. But Dalia, as she called herself, was loud, annoying and I could hear her loud and clear. “Besides he probably doesn't even like redheads!”
        My date smiled and ran his hand through black hair. “Actually I like redheads.”
I looked at him shocked. “James, you're a psychic?” I couldn't believe my date was one of the new rare breed of people. And the reason why nothing was password protected anymore. Now everything required your fingerprint.
       “Well, that's your sister hooked me up with you.”
        I responded quickly, not sure how angry or confused I should be, “Are you trying to 'help me with my problem' or something?”
        Dalia spoke to him, “If you can hear me psychic freak then hear this. Back off, she's mine. If the medication couldn't take my friend away from me then neither will you.” The murmuring voices got louder and louder.
       James told me with a face full of relief. “No, you're going to solve my problem. Because of our ability to read minds psychics are faced with distrust and loneliness. Psychics can never get close to anyone besides other psychics. People don't want their head ripped open. But you, that which plagues you gets in the way of me knowing what's in your true mind, even accidentally.”
      “You can't read my mind?” I asked him.
       He nodded. “Not your true mind. I only hear the voices of the murmurs and that other voice. So we can endure that together.” He paused for a second. “Now please tell me something about yourself.” He laughed. “I always wanted to say that.”

No comments:

Post a Comment