Translate

Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Today's #flashfiction #ThePawnAndHisKings

“What would you do for a Klondike Bar?”
The Fast And The Furious* #quote


Called CJ last night. Looks like he may be coming over this weekend. Also the Moon isn't made of cheese. A quick taste test told me that. Anyway onto the flash fiction!

The Pawn And His Kings

         “The war is lost. Look at the castle burning in the horizon Sir. I'm glad to have worked for you to the end. I wish you'd been the one in charge. As you always said that king was an idiot.” My servant and good friend told me. Paid servant, I didn't do slaves, breeding hate in subordinates is exactly how you created people like me. Derrik, my servant, was paid well, advised me, and was a close friend. And I advised the king. The soon to be dead king. “I hope this isn't the end for us.”
        “Oh, Derrik, this is far from the end. Though you'll have to start calling me Mr. Days instead of Mr. Hinder. I'm changing identities. Along with you.”
Derrik looked at me puzzled. “What are you talking about?”
        “The reason the castle is burning today is me.”
         My friend looked at me in horror. “Did you betray the king?”
         I smiled. “Is a man as corrupt and evil as him worth any oath? This wouldn't be my first time. Before King Walden, in that burning castle, I served another king as advisor. When he drove his country into the ground and was losing it to war, despite me giving him advice to get out of all of it I betrayed my first king, change identities and became advisor of King Walden. And now I back stabbed Walden. I have no problem with saying it. Eventually that castle would have fallen anyway. I sped up the war by giving secrets to the king conquering us and secured my position as advisor. With a new identity.”
Derrik responded, “I've never heard such a diabolical scheme.”
       I shrugged. “My dear friend, you don't know what kind of people these are. I shortened every one of these wars and by advising these kings I can at least reduce the damage they do in their politics. I intend to go from king to king till the day I die. I trust you enough to take that journey with me.”
       “Till the day you die, and your only fifty and your going to be serving your third king...”
        I then told him the end of my plan. “Oh, but you are only twenty my dear servant, and I think you would make a wonderful inheritor to my plan of puppetry. When I'm forced to walk with a cane and my hair is gray you'll be promoted to an advisor somehow you'll see. Better work on your ambition.”

No comments:

Post a Comment