Translate

Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Today's #flashfiction #DemonOnCall

“Make love, not war.”
Genghis Khan* #quote

Today I invited CJ over for the weekend. It seems like he should able to come over so woot.

Demon On Call

         Whisked away from watching my favorite television show Dancing With The Demons I find myself in front of a wizard with another behind me. With my demonic instinct I could tell which one summoned me. It was the one behind me, he cackled proudly as fire spread from my feet. At least someone felt happy about my summoning. Being on call all the time turned out to be such a bother.
          I looked around to see some carnage. A few wrecked buildings in a little village. People in chains made of bones frozen in fear as they looked at the wizards. The man who summoned me wore dark purple robes and ruby earrings enchanted with vile magic. About in his thirties I'd say.
         The other wizard looked in his seventies. He wore the blue robes that showed a general traditional wizard's uniform. Very old fashioned. I saw that his wand bore the emblem of the Northern Unified Wizard's Guild and must have been very expensive, being covered with enchanted jewels of more types than I could count.
         It frustrated me that I'd this was the third time this week this kind of thing happened. A demon bound by summoning rituals can be pulled from the netherworld by any fool experienced enough with magic, but for the same kind of fool to do it just twisted my tail.
         Like two wizards before him the man who summoned me called upon me to fight this wizard. He shouted the command to kill the wizard with a booming confident voice. I could tell he, like the other two, were dark wizards who attacked villages to take the wealth and enslave the villagers to do their bidding. And then they call on me to fight when a good wizard from the guilds comes to stop them.
        No matter how much I think they're idiots my job is to do their bidding so I try to fight the good wizard. I summon up my own dark magic to throw fire balls at the good wizard. Really I know the evil wizards are doomed. I'm no miracle worker. As usual my magic is stopped, I try a few more of my spells, the best curses in my arsenal, but really the good guy is way too strong. I'm not all that powerful of a demon. If the evil wizard had the strength to summon a powerful enough demon to fight the good wizard he wouldn't need me in the first place.
        Then bam! The heroic wizard shoots a lighting bolt to hit my summoner, knocking his wand out of his hand. A second lighting bolt knocks him out. I am soon banished back to my home in the netherworld by another spell.
       Least I'm not penalized when my summoner calls me for an impossible task. I go back to watching television, hoping I don't get summoned during an important part of the show. I hope the next time I get called I can actually get something accomplished, last time something got done was when a wizard summoned me to get yard work done.

No comments:

Post a Comment