Translate

Sunday, November 18, 2012

Today's flash fiction #TheVampiricNovelistAndHerHumanNovels

“Silence is Golden.”
King Midas*


      Went Christmas shopping with my brother today and bought presents for Dad, Mom and CJ. As I traveled around the mall and saw all the salespeople I knew that yes, Christmas time is when love and friendship is the time of year where love and friendship joins hands with capitalism to bring joy to the world. Huzzah!
Anyway onto the flash fiction!


The Vampiric Novelist and her Human Novels

        For once why can't my agent let me write a novel about ordinary vampires? She forces me to write these repetitive cliché novels about humans. Over and over again. I suppose its not my agent's fault. It's the market's fault. It's what I have to do to make money. If I want to put food on the table with writing I have to write these books. Everyone loves these human books. They're waning in popularity a little. But I've hit the formula so well I'm guaranteed to pay my bills by selling these books. Humans are popular now. For some reason vampires are falling head over heels for them. Without having those feelings myself I've managed to figure out how to write them out and put out the formulaic human genre books that vampires buy in bulk.  Over time writing these books by formula has become like droning away at a math problem in school.
        It's painful and twisted. I'm a vampire writer. I should be using my craft, my art, to explore the feelings and emotions of vampire characters not those humans. I am better than that. I'm no factory for books. I'm an artist! A painter! But words are what I use to paint a canvas of a page. I am a genius! I am above writing these. I am above writing to the market. I am above writing to anyone's standards! I still have to pay the bills so I'll write these. But without my agent or publisher knowing I'll write something no one has ever done before. Something so unique, so different that I will no longer fit any formula! New formats in the book at every chapter! New kinds of characters! Sci-fi? Fantasy? Surreal? It'll blur all those lines only because the reader will just know it isn't the reality and norm they're used to. And there won't be a single human in it!
It took me three years to write while keeping up with my other work despite the fact I was so good at churning out those cliché novels. But my masterpiece was made. I submitted anonymously to publishers. I got rejections. As to be expected. They were all form rejections. They probably didn't even read it. Probably already had their plate full already or something.
       I then got hit hard in the gut when I got my first non-form rejection from an editor. One with remarks personally written to me. It was short but still managed to smack me right in the face.
       “I could tell by all the detail and the sheer length of this book that you put a lot of work into it. But all this strange formatting without any direction and refusal to even follow normal story set-up I couldn't follow through past the first chapter without getting confused. I wanted to give you a reality check before you try doing this again. You should try learning basic storytelling by reading lots of books. Try reading a few human genre books they're all the rage right now.”

No comments:

Post a Comment