Translate

Sunday, December 9, 2012

Today's #flashfiction #WhenTheScientistDiscoveredMagic

“I've got nothing.”
Confucius*


Today my brother's girlfriend came over to visit. While they went to the tiling shop with my mother I played a video game. I wrote too and worked on an art project. MY LIFE IS FULL OF ACTION AND ADVENTURE! Anyway onto the flash fiction!



When The Scientist Discovered Magic


       I started my life in ignorance. Grew up as a man of science. Even got a doctorate. Esteemed physicist Dr. Brandon. Though my reality took a shift in everything aspect when I was introduced to magic. A fellow professor at the university introduced me to magic. Unintentionally actually. He decided to work as a physicist at the university, I don't know how real his degree is, but in actuality he is a wizard and I stumbled across one of his spell books.
       He and I are both very good friends so he gave me his spare office keys because he is very forgetful. Which is also why now I think he keeps his spell book in his office. He disguised it as another book at the bottom of his bookshelf. The disguise was so believable that one time that I needed the book it was impersonating(all the other copies were out at the library) I went into his office to grab it. It was not an unusual occurrence for us to borrow each others things. Though this was the first time I had grabbed a book and I was surprised I remembered he had a copy.
      When I opened it and saw it wasn't the reference book I was shocked. I opened it to the part of the book I thought what I was looking for would be in so I wasn't at the start and things were even more strange. It wasn't like stumbling across someone's personal journal or diary that was hidden away. It looked cult-ish at first with its immediate gibberish in the two sentences I first read. I kept reading. If he had some insane hidden thing in his office that was something that meant he needed to be psychologically evaluated.
        Then it started to feel like I was reading instructions with technical language far beyond me. I hadn't experienced that in a long time. It didn't feel cult-ish. I didn't think that a cult would give out sentences that had the grammatical form of an engineering manual. It did have pictures. “spell book” is fairly vague. When I started to see diagrams of animals in the most bizarre of forms it baffled me. Pictures of things that looked relics popped up too. Mundane objects as well. Plain English accompanied technical terms I didn't know, just like a science book. One thing changed my train of thought completely. One of the detailed animal diagrams was of something very familiar to me, a dragon.
        I wondered if it was some sort of fantasy reference book for fantasy writers or one of those fantasy games. But I looked at one of the books for that. None of it added up. If it was for a game it would have numbers and statistics for a game. If it was for fantasy books it would have things useful for writing a book. It didn't look helpful. Maybe the diagrams? The truth didn't hit me until I saw a line with a string of words I just couldn't get at all that I just read aloud. Smoke came out of the spell book then several doves that promptly flew out the window. The doves left behind a few feathers that a I gathered up in disbelief to prove that I hadn't hallucinated.
        I hid the feathers in my pocket and put the book back. It took me heading home and staring at the feathers for a few hours for me to start believing the truth. It hit me before but that didn't mean I believed it. I believed it after I went to sleep that night and had a dream. That was proof that day wasn't a dream, especially since the feathers were on the table the next day. The book was also a spell book the next day. I discovered the book on Saturday, I read something else aloud on Sunday and a small spout of fire erupted from the book and almost caught me aflame. I decided to go home and scan the book in stages over the weekends. The wizard colleague never went to the university over the weekends. I decided not to read any of my scanned text aloud until I understood the book better for myself because something more dangerous than the fire could occur. I scanned the book in secret because I didn't know what my colleague would think if of my discovery. He must have kept it a secret for a reason after all.
      The book hadn't quite affected me yet. Right now I was on the cusp on it all. I hadn't started reading it. It was like buying the car but not driving it. I had been shocked. But I was still innocent then. I felt like I was in some wonderful movie of sorts. A bit like a kid living a wonderful dream. But when I copied the entire book into my computer I started to really read it. I started to work on understanding it. I studied it. And that's when it broke me. According to the spell book so much I knew was wrong and the feathers from the doves that came from the book were proof. Well, I suppose everything I knew was right and wrong. It took me hours of work to just use the book to understand it as I had no teacher but I learned how magic work.
        Near infinite universes exist. Near infinite laws of physics. I've spent my life studying the set of laws of physics that apply to our universe. Apparently if I hop over to another universe it could be all different. Gravity could work differently. Magic is special because its the physics over all other physics. Different universes have different ways of accessing it, some similar or some the same, but it's always there but sometimes nearly impossible to access.
        The book may have given me the ability to learn this magic. But it turned so much of my life into a pointless mess. I was studying the wrong thing. Playing the wrong game. I was learning just the physics of my world instead of the actual secrets of the universe. Looking at the box instead of what's inside. I wondered why a wizard would waste his time studying physics when he knew all this. Maybe he just wanted to the specifics. The book said many physics applied to multiple worlds. Worlds echo each other.   Many Earths for example. Explains why the things in English and still talks about so many different universes. With so many universes revealed to me things now seem even bigger than space. I'm starting to feel so small. But not just in size. Now in knowledge. That hasn't to me since I was a child. Will I need to start learning all about everything all over again? I suppose now should learn to cast the spells and transport myself to a world where I can get a teacher.

No comments:

Post a Comment