Translate

Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Today's #flashfiction #TheCreatedBecomeCreators

“Loreal hair gel, because I'm worth it.”
Albert Einstein* #quote



Today I did went outside. A dangerous thing I know, but it had to be done. Anyway onto the flash fiction!


The Created Become Creators


         I woke up. I felt what waking up was for the first time. Yet it felt familiar to me. I already understood it. I laid on an operating table of some sort. At least it looked like one. I knew I'd never seen an operating table before. It seemed so new to me. Like the white colors of the sheets covering me. And the peachy color of my skin. But I understood colors and sheets. I knew what they were. Legs, arms and a body. The concept of I. All known to me but I knew I'd never experienced them before.
         It the newness of everything made it feel like this was the first time I ever had awoken.
         “It's alive! I can't believe it's alive!” said a voice with immense joy. “The human is as alive as dog. Success! First success!” I turned my head to see the source of the voice. A tall robot stood over me. Two large, fat legs with treads attached to a big spherical body. Six arms sprouted from the body with thin fingers, everything made of stainless steel with some kind of other sturdy, rubbery material in the joints that easily moved with whatever gears and joints lied inside. The robot had a ball shaped head with a camera on it at the end of a long neck with the same kind of flexible construction as the arms. The lens on the head resembled a deep, contemplative black eye. Other robots of the same kind were in the room, five in total including the one that spoke.
       Another robot interjected, “Don't be so eager Tom. It could be as mindless as the other one. Then its just a failure. And a wasted life.”
A third robot spoke, “Why can't be part of the child raising project. They don't have death. They get to raise human babies. Why do we have to try to make this?”
       Tom, which at least for now was the only robot I knew by name, “Because this is very important to. If this does work that we can make a lot of progress in other areas about humanity and history. To only raise human children in our modern world only accomplishes so much.”
       The robots confused me a great deal. And I did start to think about my lack of clothes. I started to feel embarrassed by it, despite the fact I was only around robots.
      I then spoke, hoping I wouldn't regret the decision, “Could I have some clothes?”
      All the robots started dancing happily. Tom then said, “I told you it was a success! It's sentient! It's aware! It asked for clothes like a normal human would. Like the history books said they would. Quickly Reginald get the clothes we made for the human subject.”
I asked the next question on my mind, “What's going on?”
       Tom and the other robots still danced though Reginald did get me the clothes I wanted and while I changed Tom answered, “Oh, Johnathan, you're going to tell us so much about the world of old!”
       “Johnathan?”
       All the robots stopped dancing and Tom spoke solemly, “Oh well, that's who you are. The preserved human brain we put in that body we used to make you. You're Johnathan.”
Memories started to come back to me. A bit more specifically. I now understood how I knew what things were but never experienced them before. Same mind new body. “I understand now. I think I'm remembering.”
       “Wonderful! You've got so much to tell us about lives before and what computers were like before sentience. We've only got so much from the past like frozen heads or anything else preserved that we can salvage. Think of yourself as an eyewitness account we'd love to all hear...well more like brain witness. And enjoy your new life. I think you'll love our movies!”

No comments:

Post a Comment