Translate

Thursday, October 24, 2013

Today's #flashfiction #TheMagicalPoliceChase

“There's nothing to fear but fear itself.”
Jason Friday XIII* #quote



       Today I planned plans with many plans in them that will assist in executing future plans that will tell me about other people planning plans that will thwart my far future plans that will happen after all the previously mentioned plans. Anyway onto the flash fiction!


The Magical Police Chase


          “We've got three bank robbery suspects riding on a dragon. All three are male. Two are masked and wearing street clothes. The third is the international criminal Alex Red AKA the Robber Illusionist. His M.O is theft and vandalize of property while working to humiliate the police to garner fame for himself. ”
       I didn't need to hear the entire description of the criminal to know about him. He's quite famous, as he's desired. And he would keep causing trouble to keep coming more and more famous. Alex Red was his real name and yet we still couldn't capture him with tracking spells. He was good and dangerous. He didn't want to kill, but he wanted to cause trouble and damage, people still got hurt, and he would not only hurt innocents as part of robberies but also as parts of his escapes.
       Would I be one of those people? The report told me his location. He couldn't hide himself right after a bank robbery. He would vanish to his hideout as soon as he got far enough away from the city. But he always wanted a long chase for the media coverage. I was the cop closest to his location. Right in his course. Soon I would intercept him.
        I saw the Robber Illusionist standing on top of the dragon while his two robber associates sat down and directed it. He waved to the city below while holding a sack of money in his other hand. The other bags of money were hoisted on the dragon. I knew he had to go through the trouble of casting an attachment spell to be able to stand on the dragon without falling off. His smile gleamed with enchanted cleanliness. I could tell his blonde hair must have been styled for hours and his blue eyes held such deep, perfect ocean color into them I knew some spell enhanced them. Perhaps the young twenty-five year old illusionist used his own magic to make himself for the cameras he yearned for.
         I pulled my dragon right behind him.
        “Oh, where did you come from? And such an old man!” He laughed.
        I was old for this. Fifty and looking older than that. I should be working on retiring from the police business. But I still wear my blue uniform with wizarding hat(enchanted to stick, even as I ride this dragon. They are quite strict about uniform.) When I joined I had skin black and smooth skin like freshly tilled soil. Now I looked like cracked mud.
         “So old fart, can you fly through a storm?” The criminal pulled out his want from his pocket and waved it three times in extravagant patterns with quick skill. He knew what he was doing. A storm appeared around me while he zoomed away from me on his dragon.
        I patted my dragon. “Don't worry old girl, it's not real. Now fly up to him and give him a good burnin'” I knew the M.O. the storm was fake. He's an illusionist, he wouldn't harm himself with his own spell. He avoided harming anyone during his crimes unless it was absolutely necessary. And during my many years as a police officer I've seen many spells. While I was on S.W.A.T. I dealt with a hostage situation with a weather wizard. Weather spells require additional materials.
        My dragon, though as old as me in the business, still had quite a large amount of youthful strength in it because of the slow aging of dragons. After I told it to fly through the storm it went with quick speed and shot a burst of flame at the suspect's dragon's right wing. Just enough of a burn to slow them down. I've trained her well.
       The Robber Illusionist grinned. “Two hundred bank heists and you're the third cop to singe my wing. Kudos! But I'm afraid you won't be hitting me again.” Suddenly hundreds of copies of his dragon, him, and his accomplices appeared. He mixed among them as they circled around me.
I told my dragon to start breathing fire at the illusions to try to find the real one. I then started working on a spell myself. Creating rain or something would reveal which one is the real one by which one the objects actually hit.
         “Counter spell! Counter spell! Counter spell!” The culprit laughed. “Sorry copper, I know all your police spells and all the counter spells. I read the entire police library front to back. All the tricks they teach you...bam! I got. I know common spells too. You got nothing.” The mocking was multiplied by a thousand as all the illusions said it to me.
         I thought about what him and his illusions said. The police library. Explained his success. I mentally read the police library in my mind. At least a summary of what kind of spells were in there. The police library updated so it was difficult. Older versions existed over the decades. That's when it hit me. The thief was young. He couldn't know the tricks from the old manuals.
         I threw one of the oldest tricks in the book at him.
         I cast a spell waving my wand around a bit. I smelled the horrid smell of rotten eggs. My dragon recognized it too and zoomed off in the direction of the smell. More advanced tracking spells had been invented but it seemed the Robber Illusionist put counter spells for that on himself. But the decades old rotting eggs trick it seems he had nothing prepared. The spell only enchanted him with the smell so I could tell the real from the illusions just by going after what smelled like rotten eggs.
       My dragon put a slight burn on the other wing. His dragon was forced to land. Backup arrived and the Robber Illusionist was arrested. He got another bout of fame during his trial and he loved it. But he didn't like fading into obscurity in prison.

No comments:

Post a Comment