Translate

Saturday, October 19, 2013

Today's #flashfiction #TheTherapistOfTheSuperheroic

“No such thing as bad publicity.”
Genghis Khan* #quote


Today I got a new game, hooray! Now then onto the flash fiction!

The Therapist Of The Superheroic

        “I'm not really sure what I should do, you know my sidekick just died. I mean, what can I do?” The superhero had asked me this same question during our last several sessions. And I gave him a different answer each time to help him along.
        “Just keep fighting crime. Keep up his memory while doing what you do best and helping the world. It'll keep you occupied and maybe even another sidekick will come along and take his stead. It happens to a lot of patients.”
        Most of the ones that lose sidekicks actually. Same teary story. Been doing this for years. My big white beard growing longer and longer into a Santa Claus size as the superheroes dump their troubles on me. The young therapists seem so interested in the heroes tales and engaged in them. For me these heroes sound the same. I've made a formula of handling their problems. One superpowered Captain often has the same woes as the next. It doesn't matter whether they shoot laser beams from their fists or control lizards. I've heard enough tragic origin stories that nothing ever surprises me or seems bleak anymore.
       After more years pass and my reputation for dealing with the tragic brings more and more anti-heroes to my door I stop caring about tragedy and I only really care for laughing and smiling. Really I could hear of all manners of sadness and not care for it. It has become the mundane of my workplace as the heroes in costumes whine the days away and I console them.
       But one day a supervillain forces his way into my office when I didn't have a session scheduled.
       “I know you,” He says to me. “Mr. Gerrymore. They say you are phased by anything in your therapy.” I recognized the villain instantly. He wore a costume striped gray and black with a mask of white. Unlike many villains he never gave himself a name. The nature of his costume did make it easy for the media to settle on a name for him. They settled on Fog as he would often create masses of fog to disappear into as one of his powers. The villain then said, “You will make me your patient as you would any other. You will not report anything to anyone or I will kill you.”
      I thought I couldn't be phased by anything in my therapies but what I learned about what happened to him and what he did to other people I became shocked. The origin stories of heroes being mutilated or having their mind torn to pieces by villains didn't compare to what happened to Fog. I kept a straight face so he thought I wasn't surprised but I learned that whatever horrible things there may be in the world, there is always something worse.

No comments:

Post a Comment