Translate

Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Today's #flashfiction #AManAndHisPuzzles

The foot bone connected to the leg bone...”
Dr. Frankenstein*


Today I wrote a story. But you probably saw that coming. Anyway onto the flash fiction!


A Man And His Puzzles


         Giant chess pieces surrounded me on a vast game board. Where a king should be on the board for the white pieces I stood. Beyond the board I could only see blackness, like the chessboard was an island in a black sea of ink. I played a game with an invisible opponent. The black pieces moved on their own and the white pieces moved of their own will.
          I wore the same black suit I wore during one of my national chess championships. Second place. I was still tired from the jet lag to the championship I'd say. They called me “Sir Knight” since I was famous for making my checks with my knights. I like to think it fits a man of my caliber.
Yet as the game dragged on my invisible opponent began to gain an advantage. Impossible. I've loved puzzles since an early age and solved them easily. Yet somehow I was losing. As the tension of match continued I took more notice to the large crashes the gigantic chess pieces made as they moved across the board. And also how the pieces that were taken flew off into the darkness. As the opponent drew their pieces closer to mine the sounds of their giant pieces landing turned into quakes.
         And when my invisible opponent got me in checkmate the queen flew up and crushed me, a surge of pain went through my body.
         I then awoke in a large glass walled room, thin like an ant farm, that also floated in the black sea. It felt hot in such a confined space and I ran my fingers through my brown hair. In the glass I noticed I could see a color reflecting in the glass of something up above. I looked up and falling from the top of the large thin room were clusters of blocks of various shapes and sizes.
         I had to run and jump as fast as I could to dodge the blocks as they fell to the floor of the room. I looked at the roof of the room to see a white fog that the block clusters emerged from. More and more clusters came. And I kept dodging them to avoid being crushed as they formed a new floor for the room. It became more difficult as I became more tired. The blocks became faster and faster. And eventually they crushed me as the chess pieces did, and it felt just as incredibly painful.
         I next found myself on a boat that was slowly sinking. Though the first hole was impossible, if I patched up the second hole I think I wouldn't sink. And it would be into the sea of ink again. At least what I thought looked like ink. Whatever I was sinking into wasn't quite ink, much thicker and more menacing. The darkness on what would be a horizon if there were a Sun didn't look all that inviting. I couldn't see stars or a moon, so I questioned how I could see anything.
           I looked around to see something to patch the hole. A convenient pile of wood was there along with an convenient bottle of quick dry glue. However a catch immediately became apparent when I looked closer at the wood. The wood combined would probably be the exact size needed to cover the hole and it was in the shape of a jigsaw puzzle.
           I worked to solve it as fast as a could. As the ship tilted the pieces moved apart and I pounded the deck in frustration. I felt like I became stupider. I couldn't solve it in time and the strange ink substance came through the hole and the submerged the entire ship. I drowned, painfully, my lungs filling with the stuff as a gasped for air and screamed.
           I awoke next standing on top of massive floating puzzle cube covered in spikes and levers. I assumed I must move the levers to move the cube and solve it or something might happen to me. Yet a false move may also cause something. Those spikes look like they could easily impale me.
          Recent memory that was clouded by drugs came back to. Lethal drugs. Execution drugs. Yes. I had been put to death. Was turning my love of puzzles against me the karmic punishment the afterlife gave to me for my murders?

No comments:

Post a Comment