Translate

Thursday, December 25, 2014

Today's #flashfiction #OfDragonsAndProfit

“Them's fightin' words.”
Noah Webster* #quote


Today I had Christmas celebrations with my extended family, aunts, uncles, cousins and all. There was ho ho ho style happy Christmas fun had all around. Anyway onto the flash fiction!

Of Dragons And Profit


           “You monster!” The dragon roared.
           I smiled. “Aw, you flatter me.”
           “Why are you doing this?” He cried. I didn't know they could. Tears ran down his scales. All the way down from those glossy eyes, along that long neck, and onto the ground the below. His red scales glowed when tears passed them by. His wings twitched. I assumed it was from the pain of all the holes I put in them. I think he hesitated to attack so I would begin firing off my shotgun again. He knew I was a quicker shot then him gurgling up his fire breath.
           “It's all for the money you stupid reptile.” I laughed. “Don't you know how much your scales are worth? I could make ten thousand just from what I scrapped from your neighbors.” I wondered how stupid this animal was.
            “I know that...but can't you make money other ways? I've seen you humans. I've seen the business men that sell the couches, books, tables, and even those toys that hook up to those televisions and make the moving men. I've seen the people making a kind living working honest labor. I've even seen little girls of your species selling cookies for a profit while you...risk your life killing my kind. How does that make sense while someone can kill no one and make so much more than you and harm no one? Your own scientists have proven we have brains with the exact same structure yet you do not hesitate? Though even ignoring the moral angle what of the risk/reward. Is the risk of prison and death while fighting my people worth the profit of the scales against what the executives make while they just sell toys to children?”
              “I'm just a farmer!” I yelled at the dragon.
               Now the dragon laughed at me.
              “What's so funny you miserable beast? Want a face full of lead?” I glared at him.
              “I raise my children, send them to school, we have governments and countries, and I am even having a conversation with you. And you are comparing me to a cow.”
              “Shut up you stupid animal. It's about time I kill you and take your scales!” Just then I felt an intense pain in back as I began to burn up in flame. I dropped my shotgun. I turned around to see another dragon similar to the other. I rolled on the ground and managed to put myself out at the dragon's feet but I could hardly move. Unlike the other dragon, this dragon spoke with an angry roar.
             “Here's something to think about human. Are cows smart enough to plan something like this? A burnt back is what you get for killing our neighbors and death is what you get for everyone else you have killed. Now I'm going to put as many holes in your body that you put in my brothers wings!” The dragon raised his claws and ran them into me. The smell of my own blood filled the last of my memories.

No comments:

Post a Comment