Translate

Sunday, December 28, 2014

Today's #flashfiction #OneMansMagicIsAnotherMansTreasure

“I can't see straight.”
Pablo Picasso* #quote


Today Grandma came over and much fun was had. Anyway onto the flash fiction!


One Man's Magic Is Another's Treasure


       “Please, be reasonable Captain Talmond. You don't understand what you have there.” I concealed my wand in my robes like I would a dagger. Though I'm not sure how much it would intimidate the pirate since he didn't care about any of my pleas for the artifact. “That's a very dangerous object.”
        The pirate captain raised his voice a little. Not enough to be shouting, but enough to rise above a speaking voice. I assume this must have been the voice he used to intimidate his crew, and warn them of punishment for further slights against him. “Now listen here wizard. I don't care about how dangerous this is. I live every day of my life chased by every military of the world. I only care about how valuable this thing is. And there are a lot of gold and jewels in this little treasure.” He juggled the Nightmare Artifact in his hand as my heart skipped a beat during every toss. “Now leave before I stain those pretty, little white wizard robes with your blood.” Captain Talmond waited for me to walk away as he examined the Nightmare Artifact more closely. He cared only for the fact the golden cube had gems infused into it, and not various magical runes. The runes the blacksmiths made when forging the artifact held forbidden curses worshiped by the creators that should be lost to time.
      I wanted to just pull my wand from the many pockets in my robes and attack the Captain.(wizards had a habit of making an absurd amount of pockets in their robes for their wands and spell components, no matter how formal the robe) However just attacking the pirate would most likely lead to death and failure. We both stood in the ruins of the ancient civilization that crafted the artifact. He, however, had a large amount of crewmen with him. Thirty well armed pirates. And I I knew they held great loyalty to their captain. The ransom on Captain Talmond could set up a man for life, and information leading to his capture set him up for half of it. These crewmen would certainly kill me if I took out the man they would follow so devoutly.
           And with him getting things as gold-heavy as the Nightmare Artifact he must also sway them that way. How, how can I stop them?
         “Captain Talmond, please. You can't. The Nightmare Artifact. It could lead to the death of so many people if it gets back into the world.”
          The pirate glanced over to me. The straight lines in his jaws and muscular edges in his profile becoming very apparent from the angle. When he placed the Nightmare Artifact in his coat pocket I noticed that despite being a “ruffian” of the sea, his coat looked new and clean. “What was your name again? Ezzinami? No, wait it was Ezzinamo. Wizards have the dumbest names. Look, Ezzinamo. Do you think I care about people dying? Only people that matter are me and my crew. If I can make some money off releasing a plague then I'll do it.” He then pulled his sword from his sheath. “Killing is inconvenient you see. Which is why I've asked you nicely to leave. Attracts attention with all the screamin'. Leaves a body. Authorities are a bother. But we are in ruins in the middle of nowhere so killing you will just be damaging the weapons and making a nasty smell while we clear the rest of this place out.” Captain Talmond smiled. At this point he either wanted me to walk away or be the next man he killed. I needed to think of something fast to stop him.
        “Wait! I'll buy it!”
          The pirate's body language shifted. It became more like one I'd seen on many brokers and merchants in the past. But it still held the same murderous air of a pirate. “The price is ten million Standard.”
         I froze. Telling him I would buy it just came out of my mouth. I didn't put any thought into it. “I can't pay that,” I told him.
         The pirate looked me in the eyes with conviction in his evaluation of the object. “Then no deal.”
I couldn't let this happen.
         “I have a counteroffer. How many wizards do you have on your crew?” I asked him like somebody would ask, “How much food do you have?”
          “I have no wizards,” Captain Talmond pulled the Nightmare Artifact from his coat pocket. “What exactly are you implying?”
           “I work on your crew as your wizard. I'll be taking the minimum comforts. No need to give me cuts of bounties or treasure. Just a room and decent food. You keep the Nightmare Artifact as insurance for my employment but never sell it.”
          Captain Talmond then asked, “How long is this employment?”
           “Forever or until you break your end of the bargain,” I said.
           The pirate smiled. “It's agreed. And I never break a bargain. Otherwise nobody would do business with me. Don't mistake it for honor.”

No comments:

Post a Comment