Translate

Monday, June 16, 2014

Today's #flashfiction #AMostUselessSuperpower

“You only live once!”
Lazarus*


Today I almost danced. But I didn't. Anyway onto the flash fiction!


A Most Useless Superpower

         My name is Dr. Lookin and one day in a freak lab accident fate granted me a superpower. I became Eyes-In-The-Back-Of-My-Head-Man! Though later renamed to Visibility Man. I truly thought that maybe this would allow me to join the greatest heroes in their fights against crime.
         However many difficulties arise with this power. Keeping my secret identity involves careful grooming to put my hair over my eyes. Then I must care for the eyes in my head differently as they will be constantly exposed to hair and underexposed to light. I must also be very conscious of the eyes in the back of my head to avoid emoting with them. If they move too unnaturally then people may suspect me. I considered hair extensions, but any incidence of them falling off would lead to my secret identity being revealed.
         Then comes the actual usage of my power. I cover most of my head with a mask that has hair clips underneath to pull up the hair that conceals my second set of eyes. This is very uncomfortable. In the end though I do see more than the average man with my elaborate set up.
        I spend long hours learning kung-fu and other martial arts because I have no other powers. Not invincibility or flight or shape shifting or magic or gadgets.
        I try but usually the superhero teams leave me as lookout. At least I got a spot with the pros!

No comments:

Post a Comment