Translate

Monday, August 12, 2013

Today's #flashfiction #MailSteampunk

“I'm a cut above the rest.”
Edward Scissorhands* #quote


       Today I did an escape act. It was amazing. Indescribable in its sheer awesomeness But yeah you weren't there so sorry. Anyway onto the flash fiction!


Mail Steampunk


       I continued to run as my steam engine pounded. In my land and maybe even yours people said that robots like me didn't have hearts. But I have one, something that at least looks alive. The massive steam engine being heated by a powerful magical fuel beneath it and all the gears attached to that engine that run through my body like veins and muscles. That's what I have for a heart. And another seperate engine fuels the brain in much the same way. But all gears. Millions of tiny gears built and assembled by the fairy people inside a steel shell that forms the giant that was me. They crafted me with legs and arms since they thought something so grand should represent a person. They made most of their large creations to resemble people.  So I resembled the flesh despite the fact my only function was to simply carry things, something that a mere train could have done.
        But I did have my advantages. I climbed over mountains. I delivered mail to the monks who used to be mostly isolated. No need to lay tracks for a robot like me. I could deliver mail anywhere. In that way I surpassed a train. But still I functioned and lived as a train. I don't have a name, I just have a number, like a train would, 567891.
      One day though a became a bit different from a train. The steam in my brain ran particularly hot along with the steam in heart. Maybe the magical fuel source that made coal a relic acted up because of some wizard casting a spell a billion miles away. The closest thing I ever got to sleep was my magical fuel source replenishing my water in my engine for it to boil later and I just woke up a few minutes early because the engine acted up. I heard screaming in the distance.
      At first I did nothing. Screaming had nothing to do with delivering mail and I all I was supposed to do as a robot was deliver mail. But something in my gears made me go toward the sound. I don't know why. After following the noise I found a man and a child screaming for help inside a boat stuck in river rapids. The river could turn to rapids when it flooded, a common occurrence, but if these people were just visitors and didn't know the river flooded how could they know the normally harmless looking river turned out to be flood prone? The tiny boat they were on caught on a rock, at least momentarily, and fortunately for them they were temporarily safe.
        It had nothing to do with delivering mail.
        I began to turn to leave but they screamed for help louder. Especially after seeing me. I turned around at them again. I knew that if I went into the water I would sink and water would get in me and flood my compartments. I was steel, rust proof, but not flood proof. I knew of the river's flooding because I was told to avoid it on my delivery routes. If I rescued them I would drown my engine in the river and die. Then I could no longer deliver mail.
       But the gears in my brain told me to go in. And shortly after my plunge into the water I began to sank. I put my hand high above my head and I carried the boat to shore while the rest of my body started filling with water. The two people got to shore and my body started filling with water. I tried to pull myself out of the river but I could only get my head out.
      “Mr. Robot saved us!” The child yelled happily. I heard this during the moment my head poked out of the water. I sunk back into the river. I could feel my mental processes slowing down and my muscles failing as my gears flooded. Both the engines in my heart and brain were breaking as the water of the river flooded them. I began to lose consciousness. But now I have a name.

No comments:

Post a Comment