Translate

Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Today's #flashfiction #TheDragonAndTheGoodOldDays

“Live long and prosper.”
Dracula* #quote

Today I found out how many licks it takes to get to the center of a tootsie pop. The answer? Too many. Anyway onto the flash fiction!


The Dragon And The Good Old Days



        “Get offa my lawn you humans!” The dragon roared, waving his cane, his massive beard falling twenty feet from his chin to the ground. The fat lizard flapped its wings to batter the humans with waves of wind. Each yell came with a small wisp of fire at the end of his forked purple tongue. His red scales tensed up stiff as rubies.
        The humans in question were two grad students at a nearby college named Tom and Sally. They came to the dragons castle to interview him for their class on sentient magical creatures. Tom pulled out a pen and clipboard with a sheet of paper on it. “Please sir, we merely wish to interview you.”
The dragon squinted at them. “Is that supposed to be your sword and shield! Why back in the days of my youth knights had decent equipment!”
       “This is a pen,” Tom explained. Sally was far more nervous than Tom, she'd never been around a dragon before or any sentient magical creature, but Tom grew up around magical scientists. When Tom entered college he wanted to follow his family footsteps while Sally wanted to explore a part of the world she wasn't familiar with in her rural community. She only saw magic on TV.
       “What kind of pen is that? It looks nothing like a feather! And what kind of garments are you wearing?” The dragon yelled confused looking at their t-shirts. “And since when did women ever become knights?”
        Tom groaned, “We're not knights. We're just here to talk to you.”
         The dragon roared and stamped his feet, “That's what the adventurers who try to steal my treasure always say! I oughta roast you to the bone!” Sally just watched the dialouge between Tom and the dragon silently. The dragon reminded her of something, but she couldn't place it. The dragon's intimidating form distracted her too much.
        “Please sir, calm down.”
         The dragon roared again. “Calm down!? You knights come to my castle to slay me and you ask me to calm down? Or are you adventures to steal my treasure? I dunno! At least back in my day I could tell what you humans were up to based on how you wore your stupid fashions!”
         Sally then realized what the dragon reminded her of and her fear vanished. The dragon was practically a lizard clone of the old man that lived across the street from her, Mr. Littlewood.
         Sally then pointed at the dragon. “Hey listen up scales! Let me put this in words you'll understand. We're knights all right. But the only treasure we want is information. Not whatever gold or trinkets in that castle you call a home. And the information is whatever stories or facts about you that come with our interview.”
        The dragon paused to think for a moment. Then grinned. “You want to listen to me? My grand kids never listen to all my stories! They say I ramble for hours on end! You better go fetch more paper to go along with that pen. So where do I start...”

No comments:

Post a Comment