Translate

Thursday, August 1, 2013

Today's #flashfiction #TheMostImportantGamble

“Let me hold that for you.”
Atlas* #quote


         I went to a fun family gathering today. Much family was gathered and much fun was had. Before that I did something suspicious suspiciously inconspicuously in a conspicuous place hiding out in the open. Anyway onto the flash fiction!



The Most Important Gamble


        “I'm thinking of doing it. I'm the age for the process, it's now or never.” I told my family at the dinner table. They all looked at me shocked. Everyone knew what “the process” meant. It was the most important decision in someone's life. Whether to go through with it. And you had to go through with it in your twenties or you couldn't do it and you would lose your chance.
         Your chance at immortality.
         It had been done. Humanity invented immortality. It involved converting your brain into a sort of electromagnetic being that could travel the world. You fed off ambient radio waves, light and other things so you'd only die when the universe did. I guess you weren't exactly immortal but close enough. Robots were made for people to inhabit and interact with the world, you could move in the Internet, even influence water to make shapes appear.
         There was one downside, there was a massive failure rate. A huge failure rate. I suppose if there wasn't the planet would be filled with immortals. And if the process failed you would die right then and there.
         My mother immediately began crying. “No, you'll die. I know you will. No. Don't do it.”
         “Don't you want me to be immortal?” I asked her.
         “She wants you to live you idiot! You know the odds of survival!” My father yelled at me. He hardly did and I could tell that he was ready to yell some more. “You invite us over for dinner to tell us this? That you're thinking of doing the stupidest thing you could possibly do? Throw away your life?”
        “It's not throwing it away. It's risky I know. But if I can live forever and just avoid dying. Isn't worth the risk?”
         My father then yelled, “It isn't! You have a guaranteed without going through the process!”
         “No I don't! I could get in a car accident or something!”
         “Oh now you talk to me about possibly dying?”
          My older brother spoke up, he had already passed the time that he could perform the process, “Isn't it brother's right to try the operation? That's how they passed the laws. And besides you only said you were thinking about it. Just remember when you make your decision that we love you.”
         “Alright. Now let's forget this and continue eating. How about we talk about The Big Game.” We brushed the situation under the rug. I'm not sure if it was a good or bad thing that my family could ignore sensitive topics so easily, it wasn't the first time.
          I made my decision. I decided to undergo the process. I laughed. Once I become one of the electromagnetic beings I'll use my powers to make my human face appear on their TVs and give them a good scare and to show that I became immortal. That'll show them.
         When I began the process I decided that I'll them with a simple phone call. I can emulate my living voice with my powers too being the strange being I am. I've even received calls from immortals before and they had perfectly human voices. Yeah that's what I'll do. Call my family and say “I'm immortal! That's what taking risks is all about!” And I can live a good happy life for all eternity. Alright it's starting...
        ….
        ….
        The call was never placed. 

No comments:

Post a Comment