Translate

Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Pain Compensation


I don't feel as good as yesterday, but I still felt good today. I've been taking extra nasea medication though(but only two pills as the pharmacist said I could) I really do hope the doctor gets back to me. Though I also hope that I am actually just getting used to these side effects as the doctor said I would. Only time will tell and I do hope I don't go downhill again. But I'll just keep on dealing with it and working towards getting better. Seizures are still down so it seems the medication is doing that which is awesome. Though on worst moments of its side effects it also makes me so woozy I can't move so uh-oh. But today was good so woot! Now onto the flash fiction!


Pain Compensation

        “One hundred and fifty point thirty credits?” a man with a sown up palm said with a shocked expression. “That's it?”
         “Weighed with your happy lifestyle that's all the Suffering Department has deemed your pain worth.” the woman operating the Suffering Evaluation Machine from behind the counter said. She thought this must have been the thousandth person she dealt with today. She sometimes really regretted quitting her other job in the private sector and moving to this government one, but this government job paid so much better. “Next please.” she said with a tone sounding almost as mechanical as the Suffering Evaluation Machine.
          For the machine to work it scanned the subjects brain to find out their current “Moment of Distress” and would then decide the compensation they deserve. Though people wondered about all the politics behind the programming of the machine.
          Next a little girl and a mom walked up to the machine. The machine scanned the little girl and found the data for a dog and her hearing apologies from the neighbor for running it over. She named it “Spot” because that's what she heard a dog called on a cartoon she watched every Saturday morning.
        “Your Suffering has been evaluated at three hundred credits.” the woman operating the machine, though tired from her long day had to say something, “Get a new one.” she wished she could have said it better in a nicer tone.
        An old man with long white hair then approached, his eyes sunken and his face wrinkled like a dusty rug shoved into the corner. His clothes were worn. He slumped while he walked but straightened his posture when he stood still.
       The machine scanned him, seeing a quake, a collapsed house, his family inside, and him outside.
      “The Suffering Department has evaluated your pain at Three Hundred Thousand Credits.” the woman looked at the man as he accepted the money onto his credit card and left. Seeing the evaluation of this man reminded her why this job paid so well.

1 comment:

  1. You've been writing some amazing stories the last few days, Langdon. Bravo! And I'm praying your good days will continue. Big hug.

    ReplyDelete