Translate

Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Today's #Scifi #fantasy flash fiction #MomentsOfTruth


        Met my doctor today. This was my last visit with him and I'm switching doctors. The doctor I'm switching to is the one that worked with me during the hospital visit I had awhile back so I think I'll be in good hands so I'm optimistic. The following story does not have any supermodels or dinosaurs. Or But unlike many movies or tv shows I have seen recently it does not need either of those things to be entertaining. Enjoy!




Moments of Truth

       A hypnotist, plus an injection, plus a knowing patient makes a known lie a truth. Fact trance was a reality in the twenty second century, and in fact trance a person would be convinced for a temporary amount of time that something was absolute fact. They could think that dogs were called cats and you could not convince them otherwise.
       How trance worked was through chemical injection. The chemical was fast working and would rush to the brain and would make whatever lie the patient was thinking of into fact in their mind until the chemical wore off. They had to be thinking of it in a certain way with the assistance of a hypnotist so naturally it required willing patients as unwilling patients wouldn't do what was necessary to put themselves into the trance then be injected. However much chemicals were injected would determine how long the patient believed the lie. They were called “Truth Trancers” by some, and “Liar Friars” by many who disagreed with them. Slurs against them got worse from people who disagreed with what they did more.
       Many people used this to conquer anxiety. Right before something like a speech, performance or other task they would see a hypnotist to convince them that there was no chance they would fail. This is one of the most socially acceptable uses for the hypnotists. Others use them to convince themselves they are more attractive then they actually are to boost confidence. People defend lies given truth by the chemicals and hypnotists with an intense near-religious fervor and if they are disproved enough to break that conviction, depending on the intensity of the lie a psychological whiplash happens to the individual as well as the fact they may also become sick. All temporary. Though it can range from slight nausea to vomiting and psychological whiplash can go from shock to massive breakdown and crying. But as soon as the chemicals wear off they completely recover.
      People keep their memories from when they were convinced of truths so they often explore fantasies. With the help of the hypnotists they lock themselves in “Truth Rooms” where they can safely explore something, like thinking they're some sort of celebrity without actually trying to contact people that celebrity knows. Or thinking they're a rich person or something else. Or something else like thinking they can fly so they swim on the floor of a padded room. People compare it to a different kind of dreaming.
       Because of how huge the lies can be the hypnotists are often called lawyers. They learn the hundreds of laws that have been passed around their craft. They are often limited to allowing the patients to make themselves learn specific truths. People are tested for the chemicals in their system before they are allowed to vote and it is illegal for the hypnotists to convince them of any truth that could tip moral views. There were lists upon lists of what was allowed and disallowed to be done. Of course there some hypnotists that would break the rules for the right price.
      Dr. Amanda was one of those hypnotists. (Because they dealt with the chemicals and injections, the hypnotists needed more than just tranining with their trances, which is why Amanda had a doctorate.)
A man entered her room. Since it was an illegal facility, it was an apartment tucked away in one of the more dirty parts of town. The padded “Truth Room” where people played out fanties like flying was padded and in the back. She had no receptionist and everything was booked by people telling friends of friends where to meet her. Though the room's carpet and walls fit the quality of the run down apartment building the furniture was meant to comfort the guests.
       There was one fancy leather chair for her and several fancy leather chairs lined up along the wall for however many patients were visiting her that day. The hypnosis screen hung on the wall and spanned its entire length. It probably cost more than many of the patient's cars. She had tables along the walls to work as makeshift counters. Not for much practical use, but to put more expensive items. She figured out that by putting up expensive things she showed how successful she was as a doctor giving them much more confidence in her. It made the room look less run down as well. If the patients lost confidence in her they wouldn't go through with the trance. If they don't trust her they wouldn't pay her and wouldn't think she wasn't just injecting them with placebo. And quite frankly she did not want her patients to think that the chemicals she smuggled for the illegal portion of her operation(she ran a legal office as well, she only ran the illegal part off-hours) was placebo. She also wore some jewelry to esabilsher her wealth.
       “Hello. My name is Dr. Jacob Andersonsmithsonton,” said the man who entered her room. He smiled.    “Just call me Dr. Andy. And I've heard every single joke about the length of my last name so don't bother trying come up with one.” The man had plenty of time to hear every joke. Based on the absurd amount of wrinkles on his face and the way he hunched over on his cane he must have at least been ninety. He guided himself over to one of the leather chairs.
     Dr. Amanda then commented. “Ah, another doctor. What a wonderful coincidence.”
      He then nodded. “Yes. But I'm not a medical doctor. I'm one of those science doctors.”
    “Oh. Well, what do you do?” she replied.
    “Actually,” he said, “With my family's fortune I've spent my entire life becoming educated with no need to spend my time on any other obligation. Over my many years of life I have become educated in many fields. I have degrees in mathematics, physics, English, Spanish, Finnish, Japanese, art, philosophy, psychology, robotics, genetics, creative writing, wrestling, nanotechnology, chemistry, business, forensic criminology, history, underwater basket weaving and several other fields.”
     Dr. Amanda gasped. “Now I remember! You're that famous genius! What could I possibly do for you? You're famous for being the man who knows nearly everything!”
     “That's what they say.” He laughed. “And with my vast knowledge and further studies I think I've almost managed to crack it. The meaning behind it all. The ultimate truth. Now I've already heard the joke about that number being the answer to everything. But I think I've come up with the way to crack the truth behind it all. The answer to how everything works.”
      “The answer to how everything works?” Dr. Amanda asked baffled. “The answer to it all?”
       “But I need your help.” He explained. “Laws say that you hypnotists can teach us things that could lead to quick insanity and mentally damaging and be risky.”
      “I don't know how a lie I could make you believe could help you uncover the ultimate truth. And making someone believe they could fly is legal because we could stick them in the “Truth Room” That law is more meant to prevent us from convincing you to do things that could make you do things like killing someone. What could you ask me to do?” She gave him an odd look.
He sighed. “I want you to trance me into believing that one plus one equals three.”
      “What? Why?” She knelt towards him.
        “I know so many truths about the world I think that if we convince me that such a basic thing that forms the foundation of so many things it will cause all those truths to collapse. It will make every truth false and every lie more apparent as my reality unfolds. We can try it for just an hour in case I snap when you lock me in the 'Truth Room'.”
       She smiled. “Alright. Let's do it.” She couldn't pass this up. She prepared the hypnosis screen and activated it. She injected the chemicals for one hour of time and they performed the hypnosis. She quickly guided him in. He insisted that no matter what happened to not let him out. She waited. At first nothing. Then laughing. Then crying. Then laughing. Then cries of “Nothing makes sense!” then “Everything makes sense.” back and forth he said that. 
       She then heard him scream, “If everything I know is a lie then what's the truth?” Even though people remember being tranced they had to suffer memory loss of what they were being tranced about in order to believe the lie. She wondered if Dr. Andy even realized he was in a Truth Room. No everything I know must be the truth, after all I know it.” the ramblings then became mumbles and she couldn't make them out. When the hour ended she opened the Truth Room and pulled him out. She could tell from his dilated pupils that the chemicals had cleared out of his system and his brain was adjusting to being normal again. As soon as he made eye contact with her he burst out laughing.
       “I did it!” He smiled.
       “You figured it out? How everything works? The answer to everything?
        “Yes!” He then put his palm to his face. “And it's so simple!”
She looked close into his eyes. “What is it?” she pleaded.
         “It just does.” He smiled. “In the end that's the answer to every question. It just does. When you made everything I knew a lie for that moment in the room the only way I could rationalize it all was saying that everything must have just worked. It just does. And when I came out I realized that what it's like it real life.”
         She looked at him baffled. “What are you talking about? Everything has an explanation. There's a reason.”
        He laughed. “No, that's the trick to it all! In every field it goes like this, you reach some answer. But no answer is complete and raises some questions. And when we can't answer them we could say 'it just does'. But we're never satisfied with that so we find an explanation for that 'it just does'. But under that answer lies another question as to the reason for that answer instead of accepting 'it just does'.” He laughed again. “The more I thought about it, with everything I studied the answer to everything led to either accepting a 'it just does' or asking yourself even more questions. It never stops!”
        Dr. Andy then started coughing again and again. Then he started coughing blood. “Looks like the chemicals got to me.”
        Amanda then yelled at him, “You were vulnerable to the chemicals? You should have told me!”
He laughed. “I'm ninety-two, I'm vulnerable to everything. My doctor gave me two weeks to live a month ago and I broke out of the hospital to see you.”
She mumbled a curse. “I should have asked.”
        “Nah.” He smiled. “This is what I wanted. Though really I was hoping for a much better answer to everything. This one is pretty lame and doesn't do anyone any good. The best thing to do is to ask questions.” The man laughed one more laugh and went limp and cold in her arms.





Author Comment: Other candidates for the answer to everything were “fish”, “B”, “password” and “that's what she said”

This work is copyright Langdon Kennedy you may share this(email it, print it, post it on your own website, broadcast it etc.) work unaltered as long as you credit me as the author and share a link to this blog with it and it is not for profit. If you have any questions and/or are unclear of these conditions email me at llkenne1@asu.edu

1 comment: