Translate

Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Today's #Scifi #fantasy short story #AFieldTripInHumanity


          Today I saw a dietician. There is something called a ketogenic diet, though I am going to be working on a modified Atkins diet. Why? Actually to help with my seizures. Oddly enough diets can help with seizures. They actually still don't know exactly why, but it does. (But doctor's don't know about why a lot of the medications work, and that's what my doctors have told me up front.) Epilepsy is a strange condition with tons of variations with mine being a rare case of a rare case. Here's the funny part, I'm actually going to be REQUIRED TO EAT BACON. Well, not bacon all the time. I can do eggs or cheese or other things. It's an interesting thing and we're still planning with the dietician exactly what we're going to do especially since she hasn't gotten my medical info from my neurology clinic. (I'm not doing the diet to lose weight, though many people do, I'm doing it to change the type of energy my brain is burning, things are much more complicated.) Anyway onto the flash fiction!


A Field Trip In Humanity

       “Teacher, what language am I speaking right now?” said a tall black, male with dyed blonde hair. “It's got such a weird grammatical structure. And this body is so weird. Two legs? I feel dizzy.”
Another student then said, “Can I sit down? It's hard to stand on these.” This student was medium sized woman with black hair.
         The teacher then said. “Yes children you may sit down. I know you're used to walking in six legs, so standing in two must be hard.” The teacher was a pale white man in black suit. He wore a massive, obnoxiously colored sombrero. “Now I know you're not used to seeing humans, so just to make sure that you don't forget which one of us is me I'll be wearing this 'sombrero', it's a human hat. The language you are speaking is English.” There were about thirty students with the teacher and they were all in a tiny meadow in the middle of the woods. Besides the teacher all the others wore loose, comfortable clothes.
       One of the students groaned. “God, it's awkward whenever one of the language machines transplants a new language into our brain. Hey, what's God. And what did I just do?”
       The teacher then explained. “God is one of the human deities. And what you just did is 'groan'. It's a human verbal action that can express disdain or disgust. It can also be a natural reaction to pain in humans.”  The teacher then smiled. “What I just did is smile, its a sign of human happiness among other things.”
        One of the students then said. “This is so frustrating. Even when the machines but languages in our head it comes in slowly and we don't understand the words we say until after we say them because the words blurt out from our subconscious then we it goes back into our head consciously. I'm surprised I even said that.”
       The teacher then smiled again. “That just shows you're adapting well. In this English language this is called the Subconscious-Conscious-Wraparound effect. Words and expressions are pulled from the subconscious which is how one of our other students mentioned God without knowing who the diety because the language came from the subconscious. Then now everything is leading back to your conscious brain and is being reinforced even more in the subconscious.”
         One of the students then groaned. “Yeah, this isn't the first time we've learned another world's language teacher. It's just annoying that you're making us talk in this language even if there isn't a human around. Weird, I groaned too!”
          The teacher then said with a coy sneer, “But who's to say that there isn't children? If you all can't recognize your own classmates because of the adult human bodies I've placed you in, you obviously wouldn't recognize the human among you. Could you please step forward Mr. Joneson?”
         “Sure Mr. Blorgyx.” A tall, lean, red-headed came from the crowd of students. He had sat down with them to blend in with them so he had to stand up before heading over to be right next to the teacher. “I'm delighted to meet you all formally. As your teacher said I'm Mr. Joneson.”
          The students's expressions turned to shock. A sort of thing they weren't used to. Well, they had their own expressions, but since their expressions were all made with tentacles on their faces, every palette of expression was different. One of them then yelled, “Wow, a real-live human! Well, I mean, as real live as you technically are...sorry.”
          The human gave a comforting smile. “No, no. Do not worry, I am not offended.”
One of the students then nervously asked. “Then if it doesn't offend you, could you tell us how it all happened? How you were... virtualized?”
           The human nodded. “Of course. That's part of your lesson in your field trip to virtual Earth. Now then what happened is a big asteroid was going to hit my planet. Normally the laws of your world alliances don't allow you to interfere with planets of a certain evolutionary level. But whenever one is threatened you come in to save it. Your planet surveyors were shocked also when they looked closer to learn that we were much more evolved than they thought.” He then sighed. “Normally they try to save as much life as they but unfortunately the life on our planet had evolved to atmosphere levels different from any of your worlds. So like whenever they run across something like that they take the most sentient species and isolate their brains in virtual worlds putting their brains in tanks. I'm actually a brain in a jar. I do have genetic children, but they are grown in vats by taking my genetic code to make a new brain. I'm so glad your people have done such a kindness to allow my people to live in this virtual Earth.” Then a tiny virtual tear ran down the human's face. “Though much of the human populace on the real Earth had to be left behind on real Earth, your ships were only so large on the original pickup and the original Earth was lost. But you did create a good new world based on our accounts.”
        The children then cried as well, not exactly knowing what tears were, though they've know sadness their entire life and they have known that many planets have been virtualized. “That's sad.”
        The human then smiled. “But that is also the past. Now follow me to the city. I have many human friends who would love to meet you children!”

No comments:

Post a Comment