Translate

Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Today's #Scifi #fantasy short story #FunwiththeLaws


       Hello everyone. Had a few seizures at lunch, but otherwise today's been a good day. (The past few days have been better though I think) Still working on my book and brainstorming my next. (Though my current one takes priority.) I think I may have it done sooner than later especially with all the help from my friend CJ. Thanks! Anyway onto the flash fiction!




Fun with the Laws



       “Today we can expect a 25% decrease in gravity outside the 32nd Dome and for thermodynamics to take a drastic turn towards chilly around the 55th Dome in the afternoon. Be sure to bring you're Law Suits if you plan on visiting the 55th Dome! Over the next few days the gravity with decrease for all the domes alongside the west coast. Wear your appropriate suits!” The physics-caster said with a smile.
Sweet, gravity decreases! I'm gonna have some real fun with this if I can to the beaches in time. The name's Micheal. I live in the 23nd Century and I'm 16 and living up summer break the best I can.
       I suppose I should explain. Scientists of the late 22st century had figured out most everything about physics. So then they asked themselves where the laws of physics came from. What was the great lawmaker of the universe that made the laws of the universe exist? During their experiments to answer their question they damaged the universe and now the laws of physics change on a daily basis in “bubbles” all around the Earth as the change centers around Earth's core and the scientists only damaged the universe around Earth and the anomaly they created drags itself around the Earth's body because they device they used to do it is on Earth. Destroying or moving the device would kill us all apparently and it has to be maintained. Most of humanity was killed because of this experiment and the Domes, fields of controlled physics, were created to protect us from the bubbles. We use suits and our ability to predict the anomalies like the weather to protect ourselves now also so humanity has recovered and adapted. I love when gravity dips because of how high I can leap, though staying in low-gravity for too long can be hazardous to your health, especially when you don't have the proper suit.
        But I did have the proper suit so I headed to the beaches the fastest I could. It was pretty crowded. Looked like a lot of other people were looking to have fun with the decreased gravity like I was. Many people just like jumping along the beach, but many people just love surfing and playing in the waves as they behave in new ways because of the way gravity has changed.
        I jumped and jumped for a good hour along with the groups of other people while cozy inside my suit. Then I heard a large whirring noise. I knew that noise from television and from school videos and games and such. It was the noise of when a physics bubble was changing. I seemed to be the first one to notice as everyone else took another jump. They all went up at different rates.
I could tell what kind of bubble this was.
     It was a multi-gravity bubble. And for a avid jumper like me this was a chance of a lifetime. It was the kind of bubble with different levels of gravity spread throughout. Risky yes, but probably the most fun I could ever have. Plus my parents would never allow me to do it. I saw the other people leaving the beach. But I went straight ahead.
       I jumped again and again in my suit. At different parts of the bubble the gravity was different. I couldn't visibly tell and sometimes these spots would be within inches of each other and I would be hurtled into the air. It was better than any kind of roller coaster. Fortunately my suit was in good condition and I managed to land all my jumps perfectly otherwise I could have been seriously injured from leaping through various fractions of Earth's gravity.
       I then noticed a girl around my age come up from behind me. She shot me a transmission into my suit.
        “You have a lot of guts staying on the beach.” she told me.
       I smiled. “So do you. Do you jump as a hobby as well?”
        “As much as I can.” she responded. “I come from a family of jumpers. How about you?”
       “My parents would kill me in seven different ways if they figured out I was doing this.” I said as I flipped in a fluctuation of 75% and 45% Earth gravity. I didn't know what scientists designed these suits but I thanked them for giving me the time of my life.
        “Ah,” she said. “Well, are you really just going to jump?”
        “What do you mean?” I asked.
        “Variable bubbles are so rare you might as well do everything you can!” She then spread out her arms as she leaped forward. It looked odd at first, like a five year old pretending to be a bird. But then she next jumped at a massive decrease in gravity so she quickly went higher off the ground quicker like she took flight. At the next point she spun ballerina style. “People jump like normal. But really you should jump in as many different ways as you can, especially with variable gravity. Have as much fun as you can!”
        “But won't you look silly?” I responded.
       “Does it really matter?” She countered.
       I laughed. “I guess it doesn't.”
       So for the next several hours we jumped and did whatever we could. It was the funnest time I've ever had and at then the bubble whirred and the gravity went back to normal.
       “I didn't catch your name. Mine's Micheal. What is it?” I asked her.
       “Karin.” She told me.
       “I think that gravity's going to be down around my Dome Friday want to come there?” I asked her.
        “Sure. Let's exchange contact information.” she said.
         I complimented myself on my smoothness. Had the time of my life and got a girl. Wait, she approached me and set it all off, was she the smooth one? Whatever! Doesn't matter, I got me a girl who likes gravity jumping like I do. Though now I have to explain why I was so late getting back. Perhaps honesty is the best policy, after all I do have to explain why I have the contact information for a girl too!


This work is copyright Langdon Kennedy you may share this(email it, print it, post it on your own website, broadcast it etc.) work unaltered as long as you credit me as the author and share a link to this blog with it and it is not for profit. If you have any questions and/or are unclear of these conditions email me at llkenne1@asu.edu



Author Comment: This story is based on a logical problem about physics that has bugged me for awhile. Where do the laws of physics come from? Things in the universe behave and how is it that they behave? As in how does the action of behaving happen? All the atoms and things inside them doing things all according to the rules of the universe but it all boils down to them just doing something. I'm saying how does time flow, why does time exist? How does space exist, what allows for space to curve time? Where does light's ability to move come from? Where does the ability for a wave to have wavelength and their ability to travel come from? In the end things “just happen” because a law of physics says they do(and all the incredibly complicated math along with it) so I wonder where does physics come from?

No comments:

Post a Comment