Translate

Friday, July 27, 2012

Today's #Scifi #fantasy short story #TheFirstNewsBroadcastOfIntelligentLife


      “Well, you asked if the sun hurt me, and it doesn’t. But I can’t go out in the sunlight — at least, not where anyone can see.”
Dracula, Chapter 9, p.189*

     Tomorrow my best friend CJ will be coming over. We'll probably be editing my book as per usual which will be fun. We often have plenty of fun while doing it believe it or not cracking jokes at my world and such. For example he took one of my awesome sounding descriptions and rephrased it to sound very silly as a joke. I quite enjoyed that. And my friend CJ was an English major hence his want to become an editor(my book is practice as well as the fact I gave him a nickel so I have legally paid him to work on my book haha!) so when he analyzes my book it can be quite humorous as he figures out my logic behind my word choice isn't exactly what he expects. My book is very surreal but when he asks me why I put particular things I sometimes answer “Because it's cool?”. And after I responded with that several times we ran across something and CJ asked me and I told him “You're not going to like my answer.” He laughed. It was because it sounded cool.
       Well also to restore his sanity as an English major I also told him my word choice came from establishing tone. I do it with all of my stories. Sillier words go in sillier stories and more serious words go in more serious stories. This goes with my book. In my book I've even tried to emulate the tones of nostalgia in some flashbacks if I could. Not sure if I'm good enough of a writer to do pull it off yet but there is no point in me not trying.
       Anyway, onto the flash fiction!

The First News Broadcast of Intelligent Life

       Breaking news everyone! Intelligent life has been discovered on another world! And you know I don't joke during my radio broadcasts! The government was keeping it under wraps until contact was peacefully completed but despite their initial fears everything went over peacefully. Our government tells us that their culture is much more peaceful than ours and accepted us with open arms, even giving our ambassadors free food, board, and gifts. The aliens also gave us technology for free to help us with our environmental problems, giving us plenty of technology to make us more energy efficient. They even gave medical technology helping us cure many medical diseases we thought impossible.
       Their cultures are vast and bountiful. They have music with thousands of instruments and they use technology to create music in ways we could have never imagined before. They are geniuses of the arts as well. They have mastered forms and styles we haven't ever thought of, challenging the very way we look at reality. Their fiction has genres we've never invented and weave tales that stimulate every emotion and create worlds unknown.
       And according to our government these aliens call themselves “humans”.

No comments:

Post a Comment