Translate

Saturday, July 21, 2012

Today's #Scifi #fantasy short story #BargainingWithSatan


"Politeness is the flower of humanity."
George Carlin*

Family came over today, so I had to stay up late and rush one, busy, busy! But hey, I still think it's good!


Bargaining With Satan


       You know all those stories where the devil appears before someone and offers them something for their soul or something? Well, I don't know how many of them are true. Whether they are the ones where the person finds a loophole and escapes, but still learns a valuable lesson, or just the ones where they get screwed. But I do know one that's true, mine. I was only ten at the time. I'm not surprised that the devil would try to trick a boy out of his soul.
      However the devil did not know that I was known as the most clever little boy out there. And I wasn't going to let him pull a fast one on me.
       “Little boy how would you like anything in the world?” he say after appearing before me from a puff of smoke, his skin red, horns coming out of his head. Just like cartoons. I knew he was the devil. Though I also figured he didn't actually look like that and just appeared like that because he knew that's what I expected him to look like.
       I smiled. “So you must be Satan.”
       He smiled back. “My what a clever boy you are.” I figured he must have done this to make me feel smart, to make me feel in control. That's why he made himself so obviously the devil instead of hiding it. Condescending jerk. Thinks all kids are dumb like my Uncle Barry. Not like my teacher Ms. Higgins. She makes math fun. Which I thought was physically impossible. Anyway back to that devil guy.
I then asked, “So you want to make a deal like on TV?”
       He then gave me another smile. I could tell it was fake, just like the smile my mom would use to appear friendly at business meetings. It must work if Satan was using it. “Right you are. Just your soul for whatever you want in the world. I hear there's a 4DBox Portable Video Game System you want. Thing is you can have it now. And you can have its games. All you have to do is shake my hand little boy and it'll all be yours, or whatever else you want.” Satan smiled as he held out his hand. “Oh, and I get your soul when you die so there's no need to worry. And don't believe your stupid parents. Heck is actually a wonderful place and when you make this deal I'll get you wonderful treatment.”
       I stood there for a moment and grinned when I came across a wonderful idea.
       “Alright Mr. Satan, you have a deal.” I then shook his hand.
He smiled his usual smile. “So which games do you want?”
I waved my finger at him. “Oh no Mr. Satan I never said I wanted games. That was only a suggestion from you.”
       He then looked at me puzzled. He must have been used to children taking that suggestion or picking something else specific. “Then what do you want?”
       “I want your soul immediately.” I told him. “And since you already agreed to this there is no way out of this.”
       Satan's red face then turned whiter than I thought white could ever be. I'm not sure I could even call it white anymore. “And now I am owned by a ten year old boy. At least until he dies, then I am not sure what happens.”
       I then smiled. “Actually as your 'soul boss'” I chuckled as any child being obnoxious would, “I order you to enter a new agreement with me to alter our previous agreement giving me your soul in exchange for this rock.” I then handed him a rock as he shook my hand with a hateful glare that made me feel both uncomfortable and satisfied with my accomplishment. That's what he gets for thinking all kids would be dumb and gullible.
      My cellphone then rang. I looked at the caller ID. It didn't say a name or “Unknown” it said “Pick it up”
I picked up the phone. “Yes?”
     “This is God.” a booming voice said from the phone.
      “What?” I said shocked. Though I suppose I shouldn't have been too surprised. “Really? And why are you talking with such a booming voice?”
       “It's kinda what I do. I always speak in a booming voice.” God said, continuing to speak in his booming voice as I pulled the cellphone away from me. I kept the part I spoke into close to my mouth while keeping the listening part away. “Young man you've disrupted the cosmic order and I need to speak with you immediately. Please step into the giant glowing door to your right. Bring Satan with you. Can't believe this is the reason this is the reason he's coming back into my domain. The angels are never going to stop gossiping about this.”

This work is copyright Langdon Kennedy you may share this(email it, print it, post it on your own website, broadcast it etc.) work unaltered as long as you credit me as the author and share a link to this blog with it and it is not for profit. If you have any questions and/or are unclear of these conditions email me at llkenne1@asu.edu


No comments:

Post a Comment