Translate

Thursday, July 19, 2012

Today's #Scifi #fantasy short story MagicalSelection




 Well, today was rather mundane. All I did was accidentally find a portal to another universe. In that universe time is distilled so technically a year passed so what was a year there was a day here.(My age didn't carry so yeah, I think I'm still 21) And in there I met a team of ragtag adventurers. I joined their quest. They had a wizard, warrior, bard, ninja and paladin. Anyway my talent was the knowledge from our world. Not only did it fascinate my fellow adventurers but my knowledge allowed me to improvise weapons and other tech. Although the science of our world conflicted with their magic so I had to constantly figure out how the laws of physics were altered by their magic and how I had to adjust our science to accommodate for it. Meh, maybe I'll write it down but then again I'm not sure if you guys would ever care about the detailed adventures of me and those ragtag adventures. Whatever. Anyway, onto the flash fiction!


 Magical Selection

        “You know the drill, write the runes for your chosen summon spirit animal evolution on the scroll.” the annoyed teacher said to me. I could tell by the worn expression on her face she was ready to cast seven lighting spells just to blow off some steam if she could find something like a tree or rock to aim at. Or maybe a very unfortunate goblin. “Please tell me you decided before you came here.”
        “Of course I did!” I told my teacher. I was going to evolve my summon spirit from a lame turtle to a tiger. I wasn't going to be mocked anymore as Tabitha the Turtle Girl! I studied all the runes and was going to get the tiger. All the popular witch girls have tigers. That's also why I wear red robes. Wait! All the guys will think I'm trying to hard! Will I go from Tabitha the Turtle Girl to being Tabitha the Desperate Tiger Girl. Though they'll probably come up with something with a more humiliating ring to it.
The teacher groaned. “I can tell from the look on your face you're having second thoughts. Picking your next evolution is an important thing. You have to stick with it for a long time after all, usually years. Don't rush on my account.” I knew the teacher would wait for me but I saw her take a glance at the clock. I looked behind me. The other students in line glared at me.
      I could pick eagle instead. Those gave the owner wind magic. But so many boys pick them. Would they think I was picking them trying to be like them just for attention? Ah, the black widow! Dangerous poison magic! Why did that even cross my mind? Do I wanna look like a total goth? Plus I'd have to pack components for twenty resurrection spells just because it'll probably get squashed that much. How about a bear? No! That's stupid! That's what all the muscle chicks pick! I kept running options through my head. Nothing fit! Nothing I knew the runes for hit. I looked behind me and the other kids just glared at me. I panicked under the pressure.
      I just scrawled down random runes on the scroll and accidentally made some up.
The teacher's eyes looked at the scroll with a curious look, “What did you pick? By the gods, did you just scrawl down something randomly?” The runes started to glow red, despite the fact it was just ordinary ink on the scroll. The teacher then yelled, “Everyone get down!” All the students ran from the scroll then ducked, including myself. A loud bang followed. But there was no explosion just a flash of light. And confetti. Lots of confetti.
      A dragon stood in the middle of the chamber with a party hat and balloons. “I'd like you to congratulate you on summoning me with you intense magical powers,” the beast said in a deep bellowing voice. “Must have taken you a couple thousand years to discover the runes to summon. I do love the mortal realm. Don't know why you evolved me from a turtle. You look young. You must have used a youth spell to last long enough to learn how to evolve me. Still a turtle? Guess you must have loved turtles. After all only a real low level witch would actually be forced to have a summon spirit turtle.” The dragon's loud voice was accompanied by tiny puffs of smoke from its mouth.
       My teacher then said. “You evolved a dragon! Is that even possible? Must be, you just did it! I'm going to get the principle. Now. Children, whatever you do, don't panic, and I'll be back, probably with the rest of the staff and every 9th level spell that I can muster.”
My teacher then left.
       The dragon then laughed. “Aw, that's cute. She thinks she can get me with level 9 spells. Anyway, what's you're name and I'm curious what spell did you use to become immortal so you had the time to learn how to evolve me?”
        I was still in shock and actually still ducking. I stood, trying to assert authority. “Um, well. I'm not actually immortal. I'm just a kid who evolved you by accident. I couldn't decide what to evolve my turtle into so I just scrawled something down randomly.”
       The dragon then said with a mischievous smile, “So, I am bound by your command. But being a child you really don't have the discipline to use my powers responsibly and would have no problem with us doing things like pulling pranks and just screwing around?”
        I then nervously replied, “I guess so...”
       The dragon then laughed. “Wow, my time in the mortal realm will be so much funner than the last time I was summoned. What I wanna do is kidnap a princess, let some prince come to rescue her and right before he's ready fight me to death just leave. The expression on his face will be priceless. Or we could suddenly give him and the princess cake. That could be funny too. Anyway let's ditch this joint.”

No comments:

Post a Comment